i hate petsmart now

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by MOgeckos, Jun 7, 2006.

1. MOgeckos

MOgeckos Embryo

hello i was in a petsmart today getting some crickets,calcium powser and food for our dogs and i went to the reptile section to get the powder and i saw 4 baby bearded dragons in a 10 gallon tall tank with no crickets and the food dish had an iguanas sized piece of romaine and carrot slices 1 inch long :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. _Alex

_Alex Member

Yes, we know. Most pet stores suck at keeping reptiles.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. chrispugh418

chrispugh418 Embryo

i feel the same way thats why i purchased the last two from my local petsmart because i knew theyd be better with me...and they under feed them 2 when i purchased them they tried to give me a lecture on how to keep them but u wanna know how they keep them...no basking light,overall temp 80-85 degrees dried up lettuce and they only give each dragon 5-6 crix a day...when i brought the 2 dragons home they ate like pigs about 19 crix each

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Faeze

Faeze New Member

I had a friend who worked there once and he say they're horrible! One of their policies is that every reptile has to have water. But euromastics can't have water or it will make them sick. (They get it out of food.) He told them this and they said, "Too bad. Follow the policy or it will be your job." He told them he would fill the dish then and emptied it, then put it back in. I hate pet stores. No respect for something that isn't human!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. shortygirl

shortygirl Well-Known Member

that's how I wound up with my new babies! Couldn't take it anymore, had written letters & even went to the store manager & was told the same thing..."It's policy" Infuriating.

I wish we could ban stupid people!

~~~~~~~~~~>or at least give them a sign (lol)

~Michelle

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Faeze

Faeze New Member

In my opinion, if you don't know anyhting about your job, you shouldn't be doing it. We should all team up and badger them all! :twisted:

12. DHessJr2291

DHessJr2291 New Member

That sounds like an idea. Have you seen the size of the dragons there selling!?! There not even 4 inches here in Phoenix! Poor babies :cry:

13. beardiefreak

beardiefreak Member

petcos are bad but they arent as bad as petsmart im with you faeze

14. Faeze

Faeze New Member

Petland makes me mad as well. They have almost a billion 2 inch babies in one ten gallon tank. Disgusting! My friend quit because he's a herp lover, and couldn't stand the way those creatures were being treated. But out of every single pet store I've been to, nothing compares to Petsmart!

15. xx_zephyr

xx_zephyr New Member

I find chain petstores to be the worst, because there's so many of them, and they all do the same thing. Especially because everything is overpriced, even if the animal is sick. And if you try to tell them that they're doing something wrong, they claim they're only doing their job. What job?

16. uhh..yeah

uhh..yeah New Member

It's not JUST petsmart you guys. other stores are like that too

17. rambo67

rambo67 New Member

The petsmart in my area is actually (and sadly) one of the better petstores in my area. True they dont take perfect care of their pets, but atleast in my local petsmart they have a basking lamp, UV, and crickets. At a local private petstore there are numerous dead lizards and frogs left in a cage at a time, only a basking light on a beardie in a 10g cage, starved animals, a simple house flourescent bulb about 2 feet over a row of about 5 cages. Its sad when you walk in and see 2 inch baby reptiles with ribs showing mixed with adults. Whats worse is this place was and still is "highly recommended" by people in my area for reptile and aquarium supplies.

18. Saucy

Saucy Well-Known Member

Yeah... only the supplies, I guess.

My Petsmart AND Petland make me very angry. I rescued my African fat-tailed gecko from Petland because he was in a 10-gallon with 2 fullgrown leopard geckos, had no water, crickets running everywhere, had parasites, emaciated... I could go on. I'm SO glad ours stopped selling beardies... they never had water, food or UV. Ever.

And you're right Uhh..yeah, it's a LOT of pet stores that just don't care. The one reason I hate Petsmart is because they don't take their animals to the vet because it will cut into profit. Grrr....

19. Liquid_Squelch

Liquid_Squelch New Member

There is a local 'mom and pop' petstore, that stocks all creatures...
    They have about 5 iguanas in a nice glass enclosure, but all the iguanas look underfed.
    To make it even worse, in their food bowl, there is..what looks like...a bag of frozen veggies....
    You know, the kind with some corn, peas, and they add iceburg lettuce....

Its sad!

20. ngcrawfish

ngcrawfish Member

Everytime I go in there I want to bring them all home it makes me so sad........

21. cricketnutz

cricketnutz New Member

ugh! this reminds me of somthing that happened 2 days ago at a local pet safiari i went it to see if they where selling that cool exo terra hanging cage (they over priced it) and as i was in the reptile section i saw 5-10 gallon tank it looked to small to be a decent size with 2 adult leopard geckos one of witch was gravid the cage was lined with sand and feces everywhere dirty water bowl 1 shelter (faceing crowd wise so you could see in) the geckos themselfes where in bad shape both laying on the ground the female heavyly gravid and the male with a twiching eye if it wherent for the fact i didnt want to risk making my (very preaky healthy) leopards sick id would have bought them right there then i asked to see there herpolgist 1. hes not a herpoglist 2. he only comes on wensdays at 2:00 downright unacceptable!

22. Faeze

Faeze New Member

Where was this? There is never a good store to go to. The cheapest store is Paws, and they keep their herps under the right circumstances, but it always stinks and their creatures are in a dirty crowded little room, similar to what you describe. I wish there was something we could do! :)

23. _Alex

_Alex Member

My Petsmart cares for their animals really good actually.

24. cricketnutz

cricketnutz New Member

it all bepends on the employees in petsafari there was a elderly man some cat lover and 2 teenagers then the only somewhat of a expert for reptiles is gone all week where as at zoological supply theres 2 people a guy i know whom raises his own animals and takes care of them then the lady he hired to help whom may not be a expert but still friendly and caring ive seen his store all the animals seem healthy and content (no animal is ever happy in a store)

25. Faeze

Faeze New Member

The ones we have down here know absolutely nothing! Its so infuriating!