I have a juvenile Leopard Gecko and she has had diarrhea for the past week or so. What should I do?

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by darieal haskins, Nov 28, 2013.

1. darieal haskins

darieal haskins Embryo

I've been washing my hands every time I go in to feed or clean their cage. I change the water and wash the dish every night. She eats normally and is still very mobile. I planned on making a vet appointment if she wasn't better after this time but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or know anything about this. Any help would be apprieciated. Thanks.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Godzillagecko

Godzillagecko Member

Well there could be many factors leading to what we all call...THE RUNS! but let me ask a few questions anyway...
    Air temp of tank?
    Heat spot temp?
    What are you feeding her?
    What vitamins are you giving her?

Now here's what it could be...I am not sure because I am not a Vet but it could be possible depending on where you got your baby from. If she is from a petshop there is a chance she could of gotten a parasite. Reason why is because of the way they tend to keep their reptiles. This could lead to Diarrhea. Or a infected food item. So you need to check how they are keeping their food items at the petshop you are buying supplies from. If its online ordered than I'd question them and see about a new place to buy food.
    Reptile conventions..It happens! People are handling reptile after reptile and not washing their hands. Things get passed around.

A vet would be able to tell you what it is exactly. But diarrhea will cause dehydration so what I recommend is adding some Plain Pedialyte to the water. You can buy it at any grocery store in the kids section. Put a little in her water this helps rehydrate her.

But bring her to the Vet to be sure. I've only seen parasites in wild caught and Pet shop specimens rarely has a breeder had these issues unless they are well horrible breeders.

Just answer those questions so I have a better idea. Otherwise Vet is in order. Make sure they handle exotics. Normal vets don't know their ass from their elbow.