I just got a bearded dragon, now what?

Discussion in 'General Discussion and Introductions' started by KR3LL, Jul 18, 2004.

1. KR3LL

KR3LL New Member

LOL, just joking....freaked you out with the subject huh? I am looking into getting one.
    Anyway I have a 55 gal that has recently become vacant. Ive read over the care sheets for beared dragons and all. And everybody brags about them. You BD owners, have any inside information on these guys? Any surprises i might run into? And would a 55 gal be too small to house a pair?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

that's not funny - you really DID freak me out. i thought you knew better than that, though.

i don't know a lot about bearded dragons, but i know a 55 gallon would be too small for a pair. bearded dragons don't climb a lot and they need a WIDE cage, not a tall narrow one like a 55 gallon. one beardie would need at *least* a 40 gallon BREEDER tank (breeder tanks are wider than your average tank). a 75 gallon tank would be superb for a pair - nice and wide plus long enough to give them ample room. i would recommend a 90 gallon for a pair, though - i like to give animals as much room as possible. i wouldn't even put ONE beardie in a 55 gallon tank simply because they are SO narrow.

also, make sure to feed them a varied diet - they LOVE crickets, but should also have fruits and veggies. i also believe they need uv light.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. CheriS

CheriS Is well known here

A 55 gallon will be too big for a baby (you can section it off) and not big enough for two adults.

Two adults should not be housed together on going, unless they are both females and adjusted to each other without fighting and male and female possible siblings should never be housed together after 4-5 months, even when they are not adults. The males mature sexually faster than the females, but neither are ready for mating and the results until they are mature themselves.

On the left, under the Knowledgebase, bearded dragons is a section called Obtaining Your First Dragon with some hints what to look for and how you can aquire one. Here is the direct link to it:
    http://www.reptilerooms.com/Sections+index...-11-page-1.html

Best to you and the your future dragon(s) they are very interesting creatures to raise

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. slimmy

slimmy Member

hey i agree with hummingbird on all except one thing, dragons are semi-arboreal & do like to climb. & yes they deff do need uv i recomend continueing researching until you feel you have enough info to make the proper home for a bd

lol didn't see CheriS's post, very very good point!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. KR3LL

KR3LL New Member

Would a 55gal be ok for one bearded dragon? I really dont want to buy a new tank/stand heh. I may look into getting something else. A new reptile tank would not be a big deal as far as cash, but the stand is the problem.