I need advice.

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by Bootlegnewt, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Bootlegnewt

Bootlegnewt New Member

Hello everyone, my name is Matthew and I need some help with my leopard gecko. I left him with my girlfriend for about four days and she fed him the first day with wax worms. Which isn't a big deal till she told me he fed him six or so. He usually doesn't eat more that two. He's about 8 months old and ever since I got back he hadn't been eating. I have a heat lamp and a heating pad in my tank and it heats it to exactly 93 degrees. Everything seems to be in the norm but he hadn't eaten or pooped in about four days now. And it's really starting to concern me. So if anyone could inform me of what may be wrong, or if he will be alright or not I'd really appreciate it. Thank you.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. naykid

naykid Member

Hello there & welcome to the boards.
    I really wouldn't worry about it right now, it is nice to see you're so concerned about you're leo's well being.
    Seeing how he usually only eats 2 & she fed him 6 just means he doesn't need to eat as soon as he does when he eats 2.
    Also it's likely that it's just taking longer to digest the 6 he ate. You could give him a warm bath in a clear reusable container with a lid & only about 1/4 inch of water for about 15 min to ensure hydration. Wait for a couple more days & see if he has a bowel movement.
    I am curious what is being used for the bottom of your leos enclosure? Can you give a general description of the layout of his enclosure? Picts are always helpful to get a visual of the enclosure.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Bootlegnewt

Bootlegnewt New Member

I will be sure to try that. I was just concerned because he's not as active as he usually is and because it's been so long since he ate. And I have him in a ten gallon tank with a screen lid, right now since he's still a juvenile I have an Eco carpet along with a little bit of moss under his basking rock. I have a 50 watt heat lamp on top of his cage as well as a heating pad underneath the tank where he usually eats. His water dish is on the opposite side of the tank as well as a small log for him to hide under. That also has moss inside of it. I keep the humidity at around 30% and temperature at 93 degrees. He also has vines that run across the back wall of the tank. I'm thinking about changing to sand some time soon. And eventually getting a bigger tank to add more geckos to the habitat.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Bootlegnewt

Bootlegnewt New Member

And again, thank you for the advice. I'll be sure to let you know if it helped. :)

naykid likes this.
  8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. jakyl

jakyl New Member

Hi Bootlegnewt welcome to the boards
    DON'T USE SAND! they could eat it and become impacted which basically means a block in their intestines and at times it can be deadly, Repticarpet is not a bad substrate, i myself use tiles as they hold heat well and are the natural looking environment for where Leo`s are found, another good substrate i heard alot of people use is tissue paper as it makes the tank easier to clean
    Do you have a moist hide inside her vivarium to help with shedding?
    it sounds like you are a caring owner which is good any questions i will try to help :D

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Bootlegnewt

Bootlegnewt New Member

Yes I do have a moist shelter for him. I keep the tank at about 30 percent humidity and his shelter at about 50 and he seems to do very well with that. And yeah, I've heard that about the sand. I was thinking about doing tiles as well just because they retain heat. And thank you for the advice. I'm trying to do everything I can to get my gecko healthy again. He's like family as all pets are.

naykid likes this.
  12. Godzillagecko

Godzillagecko Member

I use sand as a base beneath the slate tiles I setup so its cushioned as well as helps spread heat through the tiles on the warm side. But a leo should never meet sand face to face. Go to any lowes and buy some. Soak em in vinegar and water over night. Dry them out, rinse off and boom good to go.