I NEED HELP, AND FAST!!!

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by goodiegodess, Feb 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goodiegodess

goodiegodess Member

:?: :) :? oh gosh, i suck at taking care of my water dragons, i try my hardest but don't seem to make it just right. here are their problems...... STITCH'S PROBLEMS 1. calcium disorder 2. screened inclosure 3. he has scabs and scratched all over is body 4. always very cold, and rarely bright green 5. breathing problems LILLY'S PROBLEMS 1. she broke her leg, but now it is healing on it's own and she can move it. 2. hasn't been eating lately, and I'm having too force feed her 3. she has scabs and messed up sheeding problems all over her body 4. breathing problems 5. she is cold most of the time since she is n a screened in inclosure 6. she seems really sad...... CAN ANY ONE HELP ME WITH THIS BECAUSE WHEN THEY GET TO BE THE AGE I WANT TO BREED THEM!! Also because I want to be able to take them with me when I go to college (which is like in... 6 years!) and i want them to live nice little happy lives. I don't have enough money to take them to the vet, I already took stitch to the vet about a year ago though.... please help me. I'll post a video showing all the problems, but for right now I need help on what to do, thanks.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Sensation

Sensation New Member

By the sounds of it I dont think you should even own a pet let alone breed them. I don't mean to be rude, but with a little reasearch anyone can find out in ten minutes what your doing wrong. You probably know that water dragons live around water and obviously need high humidity. So the first thing you should do is get rid of that mesh cage! Start misting them about 5 times a day to improve there sheding. Since you said your low on money, the least you can do is tape plastic around most of the enlcosure to increase humidity and heat. If you are using a metal screening type of mesh or anything rough then get rid of the whole thing and buy a tank or build something. That is most likley the reason for all the scrathes, scabs and shedding problems. Also go to a store that sells vitamins and minerals and buy a container of calcium powder, or even the pills (will need to be grinded in a coffee grinder) and begin to dust all of the food it eats with the calcium. Also try to feed it something other than crickets. Phoenix worms are probably really good for them since they contain high amounts of calcium.

I realize your low on money but you need to take them both to the vet to get those cuts taken care of. It won't even be very expensive, you might just simply need to put cream on there cuts so they can heal. If you change all of the things your having trouble with then there diets should improve and they will look healthier and more green.

I wish you luck with your pets and hope you can turn there lives around. If you have anything you need to know don't hesitate to ask.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. shortygirl

shortygirl Well-Known Member

Ali, hunni, you have been trying very hard, but it seems like these guys are a little much for you to handle right now. Stitch has had problems for quite some time now & Lilly doesn't seem to be doing much better...

As hard as it sounds, since you're so young and obviously can't do much without your parents permission/help, I think it MAY be time to look to adopt them out (at least temporarily), until you can properly care for them. Water dragons are very involved and require specialized care.

IF you really don't want to adopt them out, you're going to have to work very hard to get them better. First off, they need to be seperated, both in decent sized enclosures (preferably of melamine) with correct humidity, lights, temps & UVB source. You need a offer a variety of food & supplement them properly. They BOTH need to see a qualified vet & be checked up, diagnosed & treated.

As Sensation said, breeding should be the furthest thing from your mind right now...properly cared for and healthy dragons should be first & foremost. If you need help convincing your parents, tell us & maybe we can help. But get those dragons to a vet and make the changes suggested above (by Sensation too) and you'll be taking the first steps. I hope everything works out for you, and for Stitch & Lilly.

~Michelle

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. goodiegodess

goodiegodess Member

i moved lilly to another inclosure, and she did eat, and it was kinda funny because she was almost litterally ZOOMING around the terriuam catching crickets, and she about 4 or 5 of them. I also put some in Stitch's cage, I still do now know if he has eaten them or not yet.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Katibug06

Katibug06 Member

Wow, those poor reptiles. You can't afford to keep them, let alone breed them!!! They definetly need to be given to someone who can take care of them and take them to the vet when needed(which is now)!!! It's just not fair to these animals.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. kinyonga

kinyonga Member

goodiegodess...how are your water dragons doing now? Have you corrected what was wrong with your care of them? Did you take them to the vets?

12. Tux

Tux Well-Known Member

Though your intentions sound good it seems as though you are not currently in a position to care for those water dragons. Sometimes it is best to chalk a bad situation up as a learning experience and adopt them out to someone in the position to provide proper care. When thinking of buying any pet a person should consider vet, feeding and proper care costs before taking on that responsibility. It seems that was not done in this case so you are now in a position where you really should do whats best for the animals.

13. joshmitz

joshmitz New Member

i have to agree with Tux here. As hard as it will be to give them up, if you really care about their well being you will want whats best for them, and unless you have the funds, time, and dedication to get them both to the vet right away and immediately correct their enclosures and husbandry, that means looking for someone who can. Maybe you could find someone you know or who lives close to you that would let you come visit them. However, make sure they have some experience and can give them the care they desperately need right now...

14. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

Ali I also agree with everyone here and think you need to make a grown up decision and find someone who can take care of your water dragons. I know you obviously care about them and want to have them when you're older but you have to understand that unless you make some major changes, Ali, your water dragons aren't going to even be alive much longer for anyone to enjoy. On top of that they are not feeling very good now and are not happy. Please do the right thing Ali and put them up for adoption.

If you need help on putting them up for adoption let us know and I'm sure we can give you a hand. Try not to think about how much you'll miss them and instead think about how much better they will feel when they get the help they need, which you can't provide right now. Ali I promise you that if your water dragons could talk they would beg you to give them to someone who can take better care of them right now.

I wish you and your dragons the best, Ali.

15. goodiegodess

goodiegodess Member

i've seperated them now, they've acthually been seperated for about 4 week now or so. Lilly two days ago was being really mean to stitch so I now am not letting them see one another at all.

16. Katibug06

Katibug06 Member

Seperating them is not solving your problems. They needt o see a vet and if you cannot afford to take them to the vet they need to be with someone who can

17. croc_gator_rebeccak3

croc_gator_rebeccak3 Well-Known Member

stop trying to deplete the problem at hand... you need to do the adult thing and look towards selling them to a person taht would love to have them and take care of them.

i know its hard, but what if you parents could afford to have you. what will they do... they would probaly fight to keep you, but if it was taht serious they would give you to a family that could take care of you and kee pin tough with that faimly to see how you are doing and stuff.

if yo udo decide to give up you animals... ask the new owner if you could come to see them... or email pics of them. it will make you feel better seeing them healthy and happy becasue you made the right decision. this is a matter that you have to face. what you feel is right.

it is hard to give away pet taht we love... but to see them die over poor conditions... is just cruel to think of and will make you dissolve away in guilt. rvererse that guilt and find a new owner for them.

18. croc_gator_rebeccak3

croc_gator_rebeccak3 Well-Known Member

sorry.... " i know its hard, but what if you parents could afford to have you. what will they do"

" i know it is hard but what if your parents *couldnt* afford to have you. waht will they do"

19. Katibug06

Katibug06 Member

They aren't going to live 6 years with how things are going. They aren't going to live with you as their care taker

20. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

Ali please listen to us and get your dragons to someone who can make them healthy and happy again. You will regret not doing that for the rest of your life if you let them die when you could have prevented it from happening. Don't do that to yourself or your dragons.

21. shortygirl

shortygirl Well-Known Member

Ali, I was in a similar situation. I have ALOT of critters, but I'm really sick. It's hard for me to take care of them all to my personal standards. I asked CrimsonRegret from here to take one of my leos, Turbo. She's taking great care of him and I'm really happy that I found him a good home where he's taken care of and given the attention he needs. A few of my other guys might be adopted out as well. Devon & I keep in regular contact & she sends me lots of pictures & updates.

So adoption is not a terrible choice! I'd see what you can do about maybe finding someone HERE who might be willing to help you!

~Michelle

22. netham45

netham45 Embryo

if you can't take them to the vet, give them to someone who can!

if you don't want to, go door to door with their pictures and ask for money to do it(get a parent to follow you).

if you don't want to do that, then I think that they will die.

also, how would it make you feel if one of them died because you didn't give him proper care when you could of? that would suck. that would just suck.

23. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Member

Did you address these issues? Unfortunately as one has already died now, I seriously hope that you listen to advice now and start acting like the grown up you want to be treated as.

24. TwiceBorn

TwiceBorn New Member

I agree, you can't plug your ears, close your eyes, and pretend that your taking care of them well. You aren't!

25. Katibug06

Katibug06 Member

I feel so sad for your animals.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.