I need help.

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by MrJoCrooms, Dec 8, 2005.

1. MrJoCrooms

MrJoCrooms Embryo

Hello everyone. I need someones help with something. I have a small green grass snake and a green american tree frog, and I wanted to put them in the same tank. I know they can't eat each other because of the size comparison (the snake is 1ft. 10 in. and the frog is just just at 5 in.), so my problem is, I need to know if the slime on the frog is toxic. If anyone can help I would be overly grateful. There is alot of different snakes called grass snakes so here's a pic if it helps.
    [​IMG]
    And the frog.
    [​IMG]
    Ok, thank you in advanced!
    --Jo

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

Why do you want to put them in the same tank? The rule of thumb is 1 herp to a cage... You just don't know what could happen.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. MrJoCrooms

MrJoCrooms Embryo

Well, I'm getting a ball python soon...but I only have the two tanks. And considering they aren't large enough to eat each other, but the ball I'm getting could eat either of them, I figured it'd be safe...but I had some people tell me I should ask around first.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

Yeah, you'll get a lot of ppl telling you it's not a good idea. You'll just have to give up one of them. Whether it's the ball python, or one of the ones you have now. Why can't you just get another tank? The ball python will just need a big tank when it's full grown anyway.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. MrJoCrooms

MrJoCrooms Embryo

'Cause I spoil all my pets and won't let any of them be in anything smaller then a 15 GL. tank, and I don't have the money for a another tank right now.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

But you can afford a ball python? How do you afford to take care of the pets you have now? You can find pretty cheap tanks. Old ones, or even cracked ones you can use. If not like you're filling it up with water. And you wouldn't need a big tank for the ball when it's just a baby.

12. MrJoCrooms

MrJoCrooms Embryo

The ball is free. It's coming from a freind moving to California and can't take the snake on the plane because it has no shots. He keeps her in a birdcage sort of deal but I can't do that for the risk of it getting out and getting to some of my other pets considering I keep rodents and such. I take care of the pets now the cheap way, fishtank lamp over a ckracked fishtank, and ckrickets caught in the front yard. And for some reason around where I live no one sells fish tanks for anything cheap.

13. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

Well you'll have to buy mice for the ball to eat, unless you breed mice yourself and feed it that, but caring for all the mice to feed it, will still cost money. I don't see how you can do any of that without the money. Maybe your friend should give the ball to someone else who can afford it. Not trying to be rude. Just trying to help. Putting your herps you have now together is a bad idea, so really you shouldn't take the ball.

14. MrJoCrooms

MrJoCrooms Embryo

The mice I can afford at 50 cents apeice. And I really must ask...what does "herps" mean exactly?

15. MrJoCrooms

MrJoCrooms Embryo

A common contraction of the word “herpetofauna,” specifically toads, frogs, salamanders, lizards, snakes, and turtles. Never mind...but I don't see what the problem with the two together would be considering they both live in exactly the same natural habitat.

16. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

Yeah but what if one get parasites or something? Then BOTH might get it. It's just that kind of thing. Or just because the snake might not be able to eat the frog, they could still fight. Just because they both live in the same habitat, doesn't mean it's safe for them both to be in the same tank. There's a whole world of a difference between the same habitat and the same TANK. With the tank, there's no room to get away from each other, especially since you said it's a 15gal. And a Ball cannot live it's whole life in a 15gal. What are you going to do as it gets bigger?

17. MrJoCrooms

MrJoCrooms Embryo

The grass snake isn't big enough to bite the frog more or less hurt it...and theres no reason for a frog to attack a snake. If one got parasites the other would anyway considering the tanks are side by side with screen tops. And I never said the ball would be in a 15 GL. permanently, I said I can't afford to buy a tank now.

18. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

Well you sound determined to do this anyway, so why even bother asking if it's safe to do? I tried to help. That's all I've got and I'm not even very experienced. I guess just wait for someone who has more experience to reply.
    Btw, I just wanted to say your grass snake is pretty and the frog is cute.

19. MrJoCrooms

MrJoCrooms Embryo

Well, if I had someone tell me "Yes they could somehow kill each other"...(with proof lol) I wouldn't. And thank you for the compliment. I must say your corn is quite cute too.

20. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

Thank you! :D Are your herps wildcaught? I'd keep a snake like that if I could find one.

21. brado

brado Member

I woulden't keep them togeather.

Snakes are opertunistic feeders, meaning that if it thinks it can kill and eat something, it will.

Incase you are 'sure' that the snake won't go after something that is 'too big' here is a story of a burm that tried to eat an aligator. You can see what happened.

22. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Member

personally, i think that snake could take down that frog if it wanted too. i'm pretty sure frogs and lizards are a major prey item for grass snakes.

your friend cant take the snake on the plane with him because it hasnt had its shots?? :shock: since when do snakes need shots aside from medical problems? he could just ship the snake to his new place, and arrive at the same time as the snake if its sent overnight.

also any ball thats bigger than that grass snake shouldnt be kept in a 15 gallon cage. go out and get a big sterilite storage tub ($7), a heat pad ($15) and a water dish ($5) and your in business. just toss in a few shoe boxes with holes cut in them, line the bottom with newspaper, and attach the heat pad to the bottom outside of the tub on either end, not in the middle. also make sure you drill out plenty of vent holes and put a good ammount of weight over the lid as balls are notorious escape artists.

that should get you by for a while untill you can get a more suitable cage (atleast 36"L x 18"W x 18"T) if your hell bent on getting this snake right now.

~Will.

23. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Member

heh, i was gonna make referance to that burm, but i forgot where that link was.

~Will.

24. FLBlue

FLBlue Member

snakes eat frogs. green snakes eat mostly insects but will eat a frog. snakes will try to bite off more than they can chew...even if it kills them. so size doesnt matter. why cant you put the frog in a 10 gal...those are only $12 at my local pet store. and i've seen them cheaper. and a lid is only around $10. if you cant afford the habitats, then dont have the animals. you say you want to spoil them, but then you say you cant afford to. thats just sad dude.

25. jondugard

jondugard New Member

its not just a case of oh well as long as they dont eat each other its ok, it will stress both of them out, they will want to get away from each other and wont be able to, as the rest say no offence but no funds no pets. if you cant afford a new cage now then what if you suddenly realise your snake needs to see the vet now? in my eyes that means you cant afford what you already have?! dont mean to be rude