I need help.

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by MrJoCrooms, Dec 8, 2005.

1. jondugard

jondugard New Member

also i dont know anything about frogs but surely the temp and humidity would be way different to the snakes?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. ScreeminChikin

ScreeminChikin New Member

Re: RE: I need help.

Best suggestion so far. Since you are determined to get the ball then I guess the only thing anybody can do is offer cheap housing options. I would not put a ball in a 15g. They need more floor space than that. Those steralite tubs are uber cheap, easy to maintain and many an adult Python and Boa have lived for quite a while in those. Height doesnt really matter for a ball so you can get the low profile under the bed type and it will work fine. Talk to Matt at mgreptiles.com and he can hook you up with some flexwatt, works really well and is inexpensive. You can use a garden variety light dimmer to control it. Not the best option but thats how I do it since good t-stats are expensive. I keep pretty good tabs on my temps but it works really well for me. Walmart sells dual zone digital thermometers that also read humidity. They are like $12 in the hardware section. They are perfect for snake cages. I place the thermometer in the cold side and the remote probe in the substrate on the hot side so the one guage will let me keep tabs on all my snakes vitals. A cheap solution for hides is to get some of those terra cotta flower pot bases and knock holes in the sides. I actually look for the ones that are already broken in the store, the clerks think Im nuts. They are generally under $1 a piece so buy a few extra. you will break some. Make sure to sand the edges of the cutout area smooth so your snake cant hrt itself. You can also get really ghetto with butter dishes, boxes etc. The snake really doesn't care what it looks like as long as he/she feels secure. You will want at minimum one hide on the hot side and one on the cold side. Of course a water dish is required but thats easy. I like dishes meant for rodents and rabbits. They they are much cheaper than "snake" water dishes. Get one big enough for the snake to soak in if it wants to. You can get a perfectly usable habitat for $40-$50. I understand money being tight but if you cant swing that, I would probably suggest passing on the ball and letting it go to someone that has the means to care for it properly.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. lady_lelorina

lady_lelorina Embryo

tanks

you might try looking in a resale shop for a tank...we've quite a few of them here in gainesville and i found a perfect twenty gallon tank for my newest ball python..as far as lids for it go..go to your local reptile shop; they sell screens there for between five and ten bucks..

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. fpc40

fpc40 New Member

dont put them i the same cage the snake wil or get stressed or kill the frog.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. reako45

reako45 Member

I think I've read where green snakes and tree frogs are recommended tank mates. I'm not sure. I don't have the book here w/ me. I've seen it done. Best do some more research. LOL!

reako45