i need help

Discussion in 'General Discussion and Introductions' started by deathbloom999, Feb 4, 2004.

1. deathbloom999

deathbloom999 Embryo

Hi all, i am new and i have a question.....I recently built a cage for my beardie i will soon purchase. I made my cage quite large because i want me beardie to feel a little less confined. I built the cage about 5 foot long and 2 foot tallx2 foot wide. I understand this is fine for an adult dragon but i plan to get a juvie. Will the large enclosure effect the beardie noticeably? I was also wondering if anyone had any good substrates i could use without hurting the little guy....HELP ME!
    thanks deathbloom

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. lacerta

lacerta Member

That's great that you are building a decent sized enclosure. Too often we find adult beardies cramped in cages way too small.
    Having said that, however, I suggest for a small juvenile that you get a smaller enclosure. A ten gallon or 15 gallon terrarium would be ideal to start with. They are not that exensive ($8.50 at Walmart) and when the little guy grows out of it, you can use it for raising crickets or superworms. A smaller enclosure will allow the young beardie to more easily find his way around. He is close to his veggies and live food is easier to find and catch, and he is close to a basking spot, yet the tank is large enought to establish a heat gradient.
    Also at this point it is much easier to clean due to being a smaller space. The best substrate to use for juvies would be paper towels in my opinion. At least until he is 7 or 8 months old. Especially during the acclimation phase it is easier to keep clean, easier to track bowel movements, and no danger of intestinal impaction. Keep furnishings simple for now. Soon eneogh he will outgrow his tank and be ready for the big enclosure, and when that time comes he'll be more inclined to adapt to the new surroundings with no problems. Good luck.
    George

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

The advice lacerta gave is good, and I mention again the paper towels statement, it's just not worth the risk.