I need help.

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by KG1337, Feb 14, 2005.

1. KG1337

KG1337 Embryo

Hi, Im 15 and Im new to these forums. I used to be very into lizards, snakes and such. I never had much luck with keeping any=/ I kept species that usually hold up very well but I never had any luck (Corn Snake, Bearded Dragon). Im just getting back into reptiles and I would like to try again. This time I thought I'd go with something bigger and hardier. I can spend about 100.00 on my lizard + shipping. I want something that I can watch move around its enclosure regularly (size isnt an issue as I can always build one), as well as be able to handle every once in awhile. Feeding wont be an issue. I just want a good pet that will hopefully live even with my luck (I take VERY good care of my animals).
    Thank you.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

well if size and feeding isnt an issue but money is, and you want a good monitor to start with then i reccommend a savannah monitor (a.k.a bosc monitor). they are very easy to take care of and are extremely hardy animals. they get around 3-4' and can usually be bought for around $10-50 at herp shows.they readily feed on mice, ground turkey, and raw steak. it will need an enclosure of at least 6'Lx4'Wx4'H. for substrate raw dirt is the best considering they like to burrow. overall temp should be kept around 85F with a basking spot of 120F. savs do not need special lighting because their skin is too thick for any light to really pass through. they grow very fast, mine went from 5" to 28" in less then a year. if you have anymore questions feel free to ask

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. JLExotics

JLExotics New Member

KG I'm putting my vote in for a blue tegu. Blues are over 100 although you can easily find a B & W for aroun $50-75. Please check out my website for blue information! It's REAL hard to beat a tegu for a pet. Not only that while Savs can make good pets they aren't as hardy imo. All the savs that are available (unless you find a private breeder - not common) are wild caught animals. Good luck with whatever you decide! http://www.jlexotics.com

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. nomad

nomad Embryo

i have to agree with JLE on this one, blue or black and white tegus have to be the best large beginner pet, heres an example of hardiness, my biggest male i bought from someone who will go unamed in iowa, it had been his pet since it was a hatchling (about 2 years), this person sent this animal, UPS on a thursday, told me overnight and that it was packaged well with a heatpack. when i recieved this lizard, not till the following TUESDAY (5 days in a box in the mail) the box he was in wasabout a foot and a half by one foot, the lizard is nearly 5 feet, he was packaged like this : he was curled up in a pillow case, then covered in newspaper and two blocks of styrofoam. i took him to a vet as soon as he arrived and he was in perfect health, i got him into his new 10'x8' enclosure which he shares with two lovely females, and yesterday i observed breeding :lol: This was all recent, so this BW was shipped in around freezing temps as well, i must say i didnt hold much hope for him to be alive, but what a pleasent suprise

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. mickeydee1984

mickeydee1984 Embryo

Definately look for an Argentine B & W...you'll love it!!!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. JLExotics

JLExotics New Member

Now that you brought up UPS...I shipped a pair back I wasn't happy with (b & w and blue) well...turns out the were refused and the package arrived back to me 7 days later! These animals are hard to kill! I think you have to jump on them if that's what you want lol!