i saw my gecko eating calcium out of the dish, is that bad?

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by MeekasMom, May 2, 2007.

1. MeekasMom

MeekasMom Member

okay so now i am a little worried, simba walked right on over to his calcium dish while i was feeding him, and started licking some up.

i feel bad because for about a week, he's been on only mealies and i havent been dusting them, because it doesnt stick well, and i figured it would be fine till i got his crickets (which came today) i usually dust the crickets and give him the mealies plain.

is it possible that he noticed a lack of calcium after just a week? i wish cricket companies shipped on weekends! i ran out of crickets around wednesday, and more couldnt be shipped until monday.

also, i think the little bugger is spoiled on mealies right now, he doesnt want to eat anything else. i bought him some phoenix worms and i could only get him to eat one, he wouldnt eat crickets and just kept going after mealies.

is it bad to skip a day of feeding him so he'll be more eager for food, therefore eating the first thing i throw in there? i usually give him crix first, mealies last, and now ill probably throw a phoenix worm in at the very end.

welllllllllllllllll anyway, guess that's about it today :-D

how is everyone?!?!?!?!?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. MorganaBanana

MorganaBanana New Member

RE: i saw my gecko eating calcium out of the dish, is that b

that is good! you shoudl have a little container of calcium (without d3!) in his tank at ALL times, its important for them to get calcium when needed. yes he might have felt he needed calcium since you havent been dusting. Mealies are a good staple food. its not a problem if he doesnt want the pheonix worms. i wouldnt skip a day of feeding if he wants food, the little prokers need all they can get!
    hope i helped a bit,
    MorganaBanana

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Val

Val Member

The dust doesn't stick as well to mealies as it does to crickets but it still does. I'd dust the mealies even if it doesn't look like they're nicely coated.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. PitsNherps

PitsNherps Well-Known Member

They should be dusted 5x weekly in pure calcium.
    Feed him if he wants to eat :D

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. bandedgecko

bandedgecko Well-Known Member

Just please make sure there is no vit D3 in the calcium you leave
    in the tank. It can build up to toxic levels.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. slyliz

slyliz New Member

Oh my gosh! Vit D3 is toxic!?! I have that mix in the calcium my breeder sold me when I purchased my leos and all their setup stuff!

12. Dan1992

Dan1992 Member

you can dust with it i think..

13. Bex190

Bex190 Member

As far as I'm aware, small doses eg. once a week aids calcium uptake but if they get too much D3 it just washes out of their system, taking the calcium with it.

14. slyliz

slyliz New Member

Thanks. I have just ordered PURE calcium and will dust with the D3 once a week. Better safe than sorry. I know how important the calcium is. I've never seen my leos lick it out of the dish so I guess I'm getting my mealies dusted well enough.

15. Drache613

Drache613 Well-Known Member

Hello

Hello,

Yes, D3 can be toxic in larger doses since it is a fat soluable vitamin & is stored & not readily excreted. It would not hurt 1-2 times weekly to provide it. If you are going to leave a dish of calcium in his tank, just use plain calcium though, with no D3.
    Are you providing a low UVB output bulb for him as well?

Tracie

16. slyliz

slyliz New Member

RE: Hello

I have a red light for heat and have a UTH. Do I need a UVB now? Seems every time I turn around I have to get something else...

17. Val

Val Member

RE: Hello

No, there's no need for UVB as long as you're supplementing correctly.

18. Sandpile

Sandpile Embryo

I started seeing My Gecko eating out her dish too < But I heard they can tell when they need it ?
    I was Happy, I hope Thats Normal ?

19. Godzillagecko

Godzillagecko Member

Yep its pretty normal. I use a none D3 Calcium powder and use Repashy every other feeding. And she's doing just fine. I found if you spritz (water bottle for those who do not know what this means) the supers/mealies once the powder sticks a little better. Usually I just hold the super in my fingers spritz and dunk it before feeding. Like a doughnut!

20. Tim3skimo

Tim3skimo New Member

Wow I thought this thread is new but I see it's from 2007, whats the point in answering it..

21. Godzillagecko

Godzillagecko Member

because someone else did lol