I struck it rich, baby!

Discussion in 'General Discussion and Introductions' started by Dylacat, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Dylacat

Dylacat Member

Went out "garage sailing" yesterday...note that I haven't been in over 8 years...anyways, I was basically out looking for shelving. Got to one place, and got a 20g with stand for $10, with hood, lights, etc... Then I went to another place. The family had a 10g, and I asked if the 40g in the driveway was for sale. She said no, but then directed me to the guy who lives next door. Turns out, that he had just gotten divorced from his wife, and had a garage full of tanks to get rid of...I told him that I wouldn't mind helping at all. For $120, I got a 55g, 2-30g, 2-20g (with 1 stand), and 2-10g. And inside of each of these tanks, is tons of tubing, heaters, filters, etc...I still have to go thru it all and see what's exactly there. Anyways, looks as if these will be my new project this upcoming week, and then I'll just have to go shopping for some new herps.

I was too exuberant not to share.
    Rebecca :D

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Spot

Spot ReptileBoards Addict

LUUUUUCCKKKYYYY!!!!!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Smileen

Smileen Member

Oh wow that rules so hard! Lucky you!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Dylacat

Dylacat Member

Thanks a bunch. I'm still trying to figure out what to get. I'm thinking of a cpl of corns in one of the 30g, and possibly a cpl of viper geckos for 1 of the 10g. I'll know exactly what I'm doing, once my leos eggs hatch. I have to make sure that I have enough room for them, and then go from there. Luckily, they're all due to hatch before the reptile show at the end of October.

Rebecca

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Freaky_pete

Freaky_pete Well-Known Member

Pretty cool Dylacat :D

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

ahhh lucky lucky.....if you want to fill one get a crocodile skink (there is so many names for them lol) http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/animal...armored-skinks/ they only get 10" at most and are relatively easy to take care of. i am hoping that they have them at the reptile show next week. if not im going to get one from LLLRep.

12. Dylacat

Dylacat Member

That's a pretty neat looking skink, Klik. Usually, I'm turned off by skinks...have no idea why...but that one is very attractive. Cool, thanks for the suggestion. Would you put one in a 20g? Or would the 30g be better?

Rebecca

13. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

20 is good but bigger is always better. they say you can keep 1in a 10gallon so 20 should be perfect

14. iguanaman

iguanaman Embryo

lucky my mom got 25 reptile cages with all the accesories from a yard sale because the owner died.she got all those tanks for 50.00 thats even luckier.

15. LTGRguy

LTGRguy Embryo

have u ever thought of mayb putting fish in those tanks since they came with all the tubes and what not, or u can just call me stupid and get more herps it's really up to u

16. KaMiKaZeE

KaMiKaZeE Member

thats awesome man. I need to go garage sailing more often. I just helped a friend move a gigantic saltwater reef setup he got from some guy. It is a fairly new 80 gallon glass bowfront aquarium, with a nice all-black stand and matching canopy, a 30 gallon sump, a horde of high-dollar filtration equimpent, a $700+ marine lighting system, a $100 calcium dosing system, over $1500 worth of premium purple fiji liverock, and a bunch of other marine life and assorted parts. Calculating it up, we figure he ended up getting somewhere close to $6000 worth of stuff for.. get this.. $100. !!! a hundred bucks! I was so jealous of his find I wanted to kill him! :D

17. Dylacat

Dylacat Member

LTGRguy~ Thanks for the suggestion, but yeah...I did fish for quite a while. I had a nice set-up with beautiful plants, balas, clown loaches, blue rams, ropefish, etc...I just got really bored with it. I ended up taking it all down, and traded the fish and plants in at the local herp store for some collareds and their lights, etc...

I really enjoy my herps more, cause I can handle them, talk to them, etc...really hang-out with them. I still have a 10g set-up with a cpl of head-and-tail-light tetras and snails.

KaMiKaZeE~ That sounds cool. I have always wanted to do a coral reef tank. They are so beautiful. Maybe someday I'll get back into fish, where I'll have the time to really do it big...saltwater, etc...I just can't see it happening for a very long time...like when I finally have my own home, with a lot of space. I'm very much into my herps, and any space that I have for a tank, at the moment, will be going towards new and or existing herps.

Thanks all,
    Rebecca