I want to Know about Iguana`s Breeding season

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by Louis, May 3, 2004.

1. Louis

Louis Embryo

I want to ask, if anyone knows when the iguana breeding season is! And if someone succed to breed iguana eggs and how!
    Thank you!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

To be honest, breeding iguanas is not something that's advised, and you probably won't get too much help with it. Given how many iguanas are being neglected, abused, and simply thrown out on the street when they get "too big to handle", most responsible iguana owners are doing what they can to PREVENT their iguanas from breeding, not encouraging it.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Louis

Louis Embryo

In Cyprus we don`t have a lot of Iguanas! I am one from a few who have! I heard that many people want to have Iguana! Why I must not breed!?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. cd

cd Member

Do all of those people have the means and the knowledge of them to care for them properly? That seems to be the problem where I'm from. Because they can get one for twenty bucks, ten if their missing a tail, they think it will be easy. If they are capable, you should encourage them to adopt one. There are places that will even ship the adopted ones to you, if your not in an area that they are in.
    Also, there is your female to think about. I don't know how much the surgury needed when they get hopelessly egg bound is where you come from, but here, the cheapest, (and not even close to the best place,) charges fifty thousand dollars. And it is so easy with an iguana to get these complications.
    I'm not an expert on them or anything, so I'm going off the information in my city, but out here, the situation is pretty bleak. And I know that if I ever bred one of my animals, I would want to prioritise giving the babies that I allowed to come into the world the best possible life and home I could get, over the money I could make off of selling them. And I would also seriously consider the major risk I would be taking with my females life if I didn't do everything just right.
    But that is just my feeling on it.
    -Cristine

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Louis

Louis Embryo

In Cyprus in not 20 bucks! or 10! its about 200 bucks! and i don`t think so that anyone who will spend 200 bucks for a pet will not care about it!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. cd

cd Member

I didn't mean they may not care about it. But even the most loving, well-meaning, wonderful people can be uneducated, unprepared, and finacially incapable of GIVING the proper care required for iguanas to thrive.
    You asked a qustion before, and I gave you my personal feelings and opinions on it. But it really appears that you have made up your mind. So I offer the absolute best of luck to each and every baby for finding a good home, and living a long, full, and healthy life.

-Cristine

12. Louis

Louis Embryo

Thank you Cristine for your advise! I understand what you want to tell me! I will not try to breed my Iguanas but if will come I will hatch the eggs!
    But please if you know tell me when is usualy the iguanas breeding season!
    Thank you very much!

13. cd

cd Member

I'm sorry, I am unable to help you there. I was trying to figure out how I was going to be able to afford an operation to get my iguana fixed so she wouldn't get egg-bound, when she got egg-bound anyways and died. I did the best that I could do for her, and followed all the advice I could get, but in the end I just couldn't afford a fifty thousand dollar surgery, and I couldn't find anyone who would take her in her condition.
    So I was one of those people who didn't realize the major financial responcibility I had when I got the iguana. Thats why I am so passionate about trying to make sure people understand whats really required of themwhen they own one.
    So I'm sorry I can't help you. My girl only lived to be three and a half years old, so she never got old enough for me to think about breeding her. But if I had had enough money to get her fixed in time, she would probably still be having a great care-free life right now. Its a very awful thing to have to live with.
    -Cristine

14. Louis

Louis Embryo

Thank you very much Cristine!

15. venus

venus Embryo

If people in Cyprus really want and iguana, they should try adopting or taking in a rescue

16. Louis

Louis Embryo

Adopting or taking in a rescue from where!?!? I told you that in Cyprus we are few people who have Iguana! My first Iguana i brought it from Greece illegal! In Cyprus the goverment don`t allow the pet shops to bring Iguanas in Cyprus so some people bring in Cyprus Iguanas illegal.

17. cd

cd Member

That might be another good reason not to breed as well then. I don't know anything about the laws where you live, but in California if illegal animals are discovered or reported they are put to death on the spot, no questions or comments allowed. They won't even allow you to transport them to a legal location. My freind had two ferrets, which are illegal in Calfornia, and animal control somehow found out she had them. They barged in without knocking, decapitated her animals in front of her, and then took the bodies away. It was devistating, and I thought it was completely wrong of them to do this, but then again, she knew that that would be the consequence of having them in the first place if she ever got caught. She should have never even risked it, knowing that such an awful fate could befall them.
    -Cristine