id like opinions on my tokay's housing situation...

Discussion in 'Tokay Geckos' started by justin_h, Apr 21, 2008.

1. justin_h

justin_h Embryo

i have a tokay gecko in a very nice 20gal tall tank. i have had him for about 8 months now and he is doing very well. he is 9 inches in length and very healthy. the guy at my local pet shop is holding on to a 10 inch long very big leopard gecko and here is my dilemma. im deciding if i could house the two together the leopard is very healthy as well and seams like it could hold his own. also i know my tokay stays around the top of the tank and the leopard stays around the bottom. the guy at the pet shop thinks it can be done he even called his breeder who agreed. we all understand it would be a risky thing to try but feel it might be worth it. what are your guys/gals opinions on the matter?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. kazmar

kazmar New Member

In my opinion, I wouldn't do that. They need different requirements (tokays need a lot more humidity). I have a tokay and a leo, and they are both awesome, but both very different. I would never try to keep them in the same cage. There's tons of forum topics about what to keep in the same cage, and pretty much all of them are told to only keep one species in the same tank (depending on sexes, maybe not even more than one herp). Hope that helped- sorry it wasn't what you wanted to hear.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Alive_At_Night

Alive_At_Night Embryo

yeah.. not such a good idea.. tokays are solatary creatures .. anything in there "teritorty" they will attack.. aslo the humidy levls for what the tokay need and the dry heat that the leopard needs.. that would only end out bad i am afraid..

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. brendywendy

brendywendy Well-Known Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

the humidity requiremments are way different,
    i think tokays will take small lizards in the wild, so i wouldnt risk it for that reason alone

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. brendywendy

brendywendy Well-Known Member

also for a near full grown tokay id say 20 gallon is starting to get a little small, ideally you would get another bigger set up, then put the new leo in the old 20 gallon, though even thats too small for him IMO