If a tokay doesnt bite you, does that mean its ill?

Discussion in 'Tokay Geckos' started by Seattlesprsonics, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Seattlesprsonics

Seattlesprsonics New Member

Ive heard quite a few people say that if you have a tokay that isnt aggressive, it means its sick...Now Im not sure I necessarily agree with that, I just wanted to see what others thought about it.

Ive had my guy for a few months now, and he's never showed any aggression toward me at all. At first, I thought he may have been a CB, but I found out he was a WB. Right now he's probably about a year or so old.

Ive heard people say that if they just put their finger by the glass, their tokay opens its mouth and whatnot as well, which mine never does. There are times where he'll be right by the top of the screen, and I'll put my face right up to it and talk to him, and he wont even do anything, he just looks kinda confused lol. Ive stroked his tail a couple times, and usually he just turns himself around to see whats touching him, but today he actually saw my finger stroking his back and he really didnt do anything, just looked at me...Now Im sure itd be a different story if I stuck my finger in his face and poked, which I obviously wont do..But what do you guys think??? Theres gotta be such thing as a mellow tokay right?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. my_baby_anoles

my_baby_anoles Member

Some tokays are not aggressive...not very often, but sometimes. He may not be sick, but if you think that could be a possibility, get him checked out. To get more insight, are you able to show pics of his enclosure, and give us temps, humidity, etc...?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Seattlesprsonics

Seattlesprsonics New Member

Him being sick is hardly a concern of mine, really....He eats good, goes to the bathroom good, and does pretty much everything else he should be doing. I posted pics of him a while back, heres the thread http://www.reptilerooms.com/forumtopic-50740.html

And actually, Ive been hand feeding him his superworms lately from time to time. Whenever he seems me, he'll peek his head up, and then when he see's that Ive got a worm he just gets so unbelievably excited, its actually very cute. I probably shouldnt get in the habit though, since he may get too used to it.

I dont have a thermometer in there, but I know my room is usually a constant 75-80, and with his light, its gotta be probably about 85 most of the time. I mist frequently, so I know everything is fine as far as his temps go. Im probably going to be putting him in the 18x18x24 exo terra soon as well.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. camo_pants

camo_pants New Member

I have seen quite a few people in the last year who say their tokay is completely tame and within 3 months the poor thing has passed away. It makes me believe that quite a few tame tokays are indeed sick with most likely parasites. I do believe that there are some tame healthy tokays out there. Mine I don't handle but he trusts me enough to eat out of my hand and not strike or bark at me when I am tinkering around in his tank. I have only seen maybe 2-3 people with tokays that are handleable and don't look like they are dying. I would guess it's about 50-50 sick to healthy tame tokays. This is just from what I have seen/read etc.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. brendywendy

brendywendy Well-Known Member

mines super healthy, if a little lardy
    hes never bitten me, or even tried,
    he will occaisionally bark at me if i get him with the spray by mistake

im still scared witless of him though and rarely touch hime, and always have gloves if going too close

what a wuss!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. dakman

dakman New Member

There are Tokays hatched that are not as naturally aggressive as most. I've hatched lots over the years that never try to bite from the very begging.

12. soxfantony

soxfantony Member

how painful is the bite?

13. brendywendy

brendywendy Well-Known Member

apparently very much
    they grab on, and have those huge muscles in their jaws, so they dont let go, much like a pitbull terrier
    and you have to crowbar them off.
    stitches blood ...apparently

only heard anecdotaly

hence my fear

14. camo_pants

camo_pants New Member

my guy will grab onto my glove and does the death rool like a croc. I can only imagine if it was my bare hand that I would be gushing blood!

15. Danrep2

Danrep2 Embryo

Bites are extremely painful. my 6 year old tokay got a hold of me inbetween my thumb and index finger about a year ago and there was more than alot of blood and required 8 stiches. ......always use gloves when your tokay gets bigger

16. darkendlight88

darkendlight88 New Member

just me being ignorant but ive seen people saying some animals are cb and wb but i have no idea what that means. help anyone?

17. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

CB is captive bred, and i think you're referring to WC, which means wild caugt. CB animals are bred in captivity and are therefore less likely to carry parasites, and to have a better temprement in most cases.

18. darkendlight88

darkendlight88 New Member

ohhh that makes sense. thanx

19. geckonewbie

geckonewbie New Member

idk but it might off just not of felt like biting you