Iggy is Picky Eater

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by Azure, May 31, 2009.

1. Azure

Azure Embryo

Hi - Our iggy's diet is usually: Collard greens, yellow squash, green beans, carrots, snow peas and daily blueberries. He doesn't seem to want to eat anything but his blueberries. He looks fine. Can't tell if he's "regular" or anything like that. No strange colors or anything else coming from him. Sometimes he will eat a big leaf of collard... He was doing fine. Can anyone make suggestions for diet change or behavior modification or something like that?? Thanks!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi,
    May be a change in diet is what's needed.
    Try Endives, escarole or those bags of "Spring mix" i think it's called, or any salad mix, just make sure it doesn't have too much Chard or spinnach in it.
    I would also cut down the peas, these have a high sugar content.
    If he is eating a lot of blueberries then the feces will be very smelly and runny.
    Just to be sure, can you give us a rundown on the setup.
    Size of tank
    What heating are you using
    What UVb are you using. Make type and strength. ie. UVb%
    Temperatures of cage at warm and cool ends and under basking spot
    What type of thermometer are you using, digital with probe, dial on stickon type.
    Is there a large tray (kitty litter type) in tank so he can have a soak and usually they defecate in there as well.
    Are you absolutely sure it's a "he"

I would also suggest taking the next fecal sample to vet and have it tested for parasites or other nasties.

If you answer the above questions we may be able to help you further.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Azure

Azure Embryo

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Azure

Azure Embryo

Hi -

Sorry, I didn't realize someone responded last week. I haven't been on here in a long time and forget what to check when posting.

He does not have a tank, he has a cage. He's in a large cat cage - aboug 5' high, 2-1/2' deep, 4' wide. He's been in there for years. We use a UVB bulb - will have to ask husband about specs on it He also has a basking light - 150 watt. However, we do not have any therometers in the cage nor is there anywhere to soak. I had mentioned to my husband about putting a box in there so he can soak. He has a climbing stick and one shelf to lay on.

He has the bumbs under his legs and we were told that indicates he's a male. He likes to come out and sit on the back of the sofa on his blanket. No heat there. I guess we don't have the right set up. But, when I went to the pet store and looked at their Iguana cage, it really wasn't any different than what we decided to put him in instead, plus ours is larger. I'll have to call around and find out what vets see Iguanas abround here. Do not believe my usual vet for the cats sees Iggs. I can get a tray for him to soak and will change the food. We feed him the diet that was recommended by someone here a long time ago. Sorry, I don't have all the pertinent information.

Will go to the pet store, look at their cages again and get a thermometer - I think I'll get a cat tray for the soaking. Let me know if this is enough information to help. Thank you.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. bruno

bruno Moderator

Thank you for your reply, when you dont come on often it's easily missed what you posted before.
    It's unusual to use a wire cage but there's no reason why it shouldn't work provided he has the correct basking temp and access to a good UV lamp. If it's your normal practice to have him out then I see no reason to change it, if it has been done for years as you say.
    Have you any idea how old he is ?
    Once you have checked what UVB you are using, if you can let us know it would be very useful, make type and stength. How old is the UV, then do need changing every 6 to 9 months as they loose their UV over time. Depending on type and make they need to be able to get within 8 to 12 inches of it.
    A good thermometer, digital with probe is the most accurate, you are looking at a basking temp of around 95F.
    Any vet should be able to do a fecal test for parasites, although a herp vet would be better if possible, I think thats the way to go right now. I suspect parasites as the cause.
    Let us know how you get on with change in diet etc.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. bruno

bruno Moderator

Me again,
    Just been giving it some more thought.
    If he spend a lot of time outside the cage then his body temp will be low and unable to digest food.
    They do need access to the higher temps and UVB for most of the day, so keep him in the cage and if possible cover 3 sides with blanket or sheet to retain the higher temps, combined with UVB access, will help his condition. Still allow him "freeroam" time but keep that to short periods.
    Hope this helps.

12. Azure

Azure Embryo

13. Azure

Azure Embryo

Hi and Thank you~!

I will go down and see if we kept the packaging from the UVB bulb. But, I know for certain it's been there well over a year and possibly two. Had no idea they needed periodic changing. It shines on the other end of the cage - not by his climbing stick. So it sounds like it might not be close enough. If he has parasites, how are they treated? I think Mostly Belly is about 4-1/2 years old. My husband has the better memory. He'll be able to tell me just how long he's been in this cage. I just know that he outgrew the tank and went directly into this it. It seems like it's been about 3 years - I will find out for certain when the hubby gets home.

Thank you for the help. I really appreciate it. I'll call my vet and see if she'll test his droppings.

14. bruno

bruno Moderator

It's beginning to look like UVB problems mainly.
    BEFORE you go and buy a new one please tell us the type, we may be able to suggest a better one. It definitely needs changing.

15. Azure

Azure Embryo

I found the packaging for the UVB bulb. It is a Fluker's Sun-Glow Coil Lantern, 23 watt, 8,000 hour life. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

16. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi Azure,
    Ok, you have a couple of choices, I assume the lamp is in a dome type reflector.
    You can either replace it with a Hagen Exo-Terra ReptiGlo 10% UVB coil lamp.
    ReptiGlo

We dont have Fluker's over here but I've heard adverse comments on the quality of their products, it's only hearsay so I dont know.

Better still would be the Mega-ray 100w MVB (mercury vapour bulb) these give out a lot of UVB, very close to natural dalight. They last at least 12 months. They also give off heat so you may not need that 150w basking spot, a smaller one can be used if needed.
    Mega-ray
    They are double the price of the coil type but well worth it, these are regarded as the top UVB on the market. Personally I believe Mega-ray to be the better value for your money.