Iggy progress slow

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by wecko, Mar 29, 2004.

1. wecko

wecko Embryo

Hi, I have an iggy that's around 1 yrs old. Last yr about a month after receiving him he escaped outside, i was lucky enough to catch him but he had been loose for a month. After being free he didn't like us anymore he reverted to gaping and once he tried to tail whip me. With much handling he has stopped gaping and there is no tail whipping. He has calmed down alot. But he still doesn't really want to be around people. Anyway i wanted to share my happiness of last night. While I was rubbing his sides he started to lean into my finger and arch his back like he was enjoying it. I did not have to restrain him. It was amazing :) I will continue to work with him, I hope to acclimate him with humans before he becomes an adult.
    [​IMG]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. cd

cd Member

He's a pretty little guy. Look at that green! I'm glad you found him. The little girl I had was out of my sight for one minute while I was going to the bathroom. I went back into the room, and she wasn't where I left her. When I found her, she was trying to crawl into the VCR tape slot. I was so glad that she wasn't shocked or something, and I was so mad at myself for leaving her alone. But now remembering how cute she was, trying to cram her body in there, its kind of a funny memory of her. (But also a good learning experience to keep in mind with my current critters.)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. patrick7564

patrick7564 Embryo

He a very nice look guy you have there !!!!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

Sounds like things are working out well for both of you! Glad to hear it!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. zendogg

zendogg Embryo

I have a three year old male that I rescued when he was a bitty, scrawny little runt. He was mean then. He has never gotten out, I interact with him every day and he is still mean. He will probably stay mean. He takes ownership of HIS territory very seriously. I do have the upper hand and could never responsibly give him to another home because his aggression makes him dangerous. The only respect he can force out of himself is for me. But, if he can grab flesh he will. He is angry and frustrated because I refuse to treat him as the superior being he knows he is. If, however, I put the harness and lead on him and take him out for some sun and socializing he is so easy going you could be misled. During outings, should something seem scary, I'm the tree he runs for to clamber up. We have a love-hate relationship. I accept that he is a turd and he accepts that he hasn't been able to get over on me yet. Despite all this he behaves for educational and show-and-tell events. Go figure?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. cd

cd Member

I really repect, and find your thoughts and acceptance of his personality very refreshing. I wish more people would be this way. In the breif time that I worked in a petstore we had an iguana that was returned to us fourteen times!!! Despite the fact that I wasn't allowed to do this, I warned people about his personality beforehand, and refused to sell him to families with small children. But they were always convinced that they could tame him using whatever new stupid book had come out that promised a "docile lovable companion in less than a week." I tried to explain to them that some iguanas just cannot be socialized to people. But then they'd bring him back, (usually in the same day,) and while we had a no return policy, they told me either I take him back, or they'll put him to sleep the hard way. So I always did. Finally, after alot of research, I found him a home with alot of room, and an owner wo was not only knowledgable of their needs, but understanding of the iguanas "behavioral problems." Although I wouldn't have called them that, he wasn't a dog, he was an iguana, and thats how their suppossed to act.
    Its really interesting that he is fine around more people, I wonder what thats about.
    -Cristine

12. zendogg

zendogg Embryo

I think that his home turf aggression is motivated by territorialism. Out in the community I am the only familiar thing so he depends on me for security. He just doesn't want to be messed with and I always insist. I have to clip his nails, clean his messes, serve his food and put him in the bathtub. It's who he is. I have another that never chooses aggression as her first defense. She just trys to get away. Both will sit on my shoulders. I will begin to socialize the female this summer. They have been kept separate. But each knows the other is around. I have inadvertently become an iguana advocate simply because I have had them over the years. All my pets leave our family due to natural death. I have never re-homed any of them. Thanks for the validation. I try to educate people about the reality of owning iguanas. It is inexcusable for people to acquire them and be ignorant of their needs and temperments.