Iguana not eating?

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by Wimmercrystal, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Wimmercrystal

Wimmercrystal Embryo

I just got the iguana from my brother today, I know he hasnt been taken care of properly, and hes not eating, i just got a infared heating light for him and am going to try and see if that helps because he hasnt had any light source besides a normal ligh bulb on him for the past few months. I dont know what to do, Ive had experience with snakes and monitors. But never had any iguanas. Any information or help will be appriciated.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. MimC

MimC Moderator

If the care has not been good until this point then its going to be essential to get all of the care up to par asap.

A quality UVB bulb, bright white heat bulb (you mentioned an infa-red bulb - if this means a red light bulb you will ant to remove it and replace it with just a regular household bulb with white light - that combined with a UVB bulb such as a repti-sun 10.0 will provide the correct heat and light for your new iggy)

Humidity is going to be important as well - you will want to be misting the tank several times a day. Since this Iggy hasn't been cared for properly you will probably want to start by soaking her daily in warm (95-100 degree) water.

Check out Melissa Kaplans Iguana care, feeding and socialization guide its the most complete compilation of iguana care information out there http://www.anapsid.org/iguana/icfs/index.html

That link will provide so much more information than I can give you here, but definately make sure to get the care up to par on this iggy so she can start on the road to a better life!!

Also, due to her past neglect it would probably be a great idea to get her checked out by a good herp veterinarian, especially since she isn't eating...there could be a variety of issues going on and a vet is going to be the quickest way to figure out what is going on and get the issues fixed.