iguana viv size

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by foodlesticks, May 20, 2009.

1. foodlesticks

foodlesticks Embryo

hi,

i have had my iguana just around 2 years now. he has been in a wood/glass vivarium that is 4ft (48")(120cm) in length, 2ft (24")(60cm) in width and 2ft (24")(60cm) in height from the day i brought him home from the exotic shop i previously worked in.

he is now around 20 cm measuring from his snout to the begining of his tail (this is only a rough measurement, my iguana isnt to fond of being measured and i'm pretty fond of my fingers) :)

now i'm thinking it might be time to upgrade to something a bit bigger for him. he doesnt looked cramped in his current viv but he spends all day scratching at the glass (his way of saying let me come out and play) and i'm thinking he may be bored with the current situation.

ideally for now i wouldnt like to go any bigger than 8 ft in length, 3ft in width and 4 ft in height. im planning on a basking shelf, sleeping quaters (nice soft bedding) and possibly one of those fancy automatic misting machines. the viv is in my room so i dont want anything ruining the lovely sound of him digging all night long :D

what do you guys think? is it a respectable upgrade for his current size? :D

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi,
    Firstly, welcome to the forum :D
    That size you mention will be good for all it's life, I assume you let it free roam "out to play".
    I wouldn't invest in an auto misting, they dont need that much, as long as you have a large water tray/pool big enough for him to get into and splash around. Just make sure it can be removed easily as they will often poop in it and will need changing daily.
    Ensure you have a good quality UVB lamp and proper temps and he should be fine in there.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Paradon

Paradon Embryo

You can probably get away with 4 ft high cage if you put in on something maybe like wheels so it will make it at least 5 feet tall. A bare minimum for the height is 5 ft, but taller is very appreciate by your iguana. I have a 7 tall cage and my iguana climbs all the time.... That's what they do. So 5 ft is the minimum.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. foodlesticks

foodlesticks Embryo

i would like to go floor to ceiling but it would block out the only two windows in my room :)

yep he's always out pulling things of shelves and chasing my dog around :D

he doesn't seem to do so well with heights, i'm not sure wether he's some sort of extreme iguana or just suicidal but he tries to jump gaps that are clearly to large for him to clear :D

i try and keep hold of him to ensure he doesnt hurt himself but he prefers to do his own thing and go investigate things by himself when he's out the viv.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. bruno

bruno Moderator

They certainly are characters.
    When I had Murphy, well was Murphy till "HE" laid 18 eggs, then became Murphina...:D
    She was a rescue, arrived riddled with cryptosporidia, which we cleared using "Septrin" a children medicine. It was banana flavoured so she went mad when I gave her the meds, banana was her favourite food, made life a lot easier administrating it.
    Sadly she developed a deep seated tumor in throat and couldn't be operated on, so only thing I could do was have her put to sleep.
    Here's slide show of her getting up to her daily antics.
    [​IMG]