Iguanna baiting?

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by supernova, Sep 7, 2011.

1. supernova

supernova Member

Anyone have any ideas of how to bait an juvenile iguana (reported 18-20 inches snout to tail tip) out of a 20 ft blue spruce tree?

I got a call today with this question as i am the only pet shop contact in my area for fostering iguanas but i have never been asked how to get them out of the tree...lol. It's in an area with lots of outdoor cats so baiting him to the ground is a bad idea.

Open to suggestions as he has said to be in the tree over 3 days now.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Welcome to the forums = )

Thats quite the predicament! Unfortunately I can't think of any means to actually 'bait' her out of the tree; particularly with those stray cats running around.

Do you know if the owners/those who called in the animal know of its location in the tree? The only ideas I'm getting are to physically ladder up the tree to collect the iguana, or maybe spraying the tree down with a hose to encourage the lizard to come out of hiding or possibly venture down while under surveillance. Wish I had better advice to give = /

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. supernova

supernova Member

Thanks for the welcome, I will post a formal introduction in the appropriate forum.:)

The owner is not known and it is in a small travel trailer type park, The park has a rep of being the bad part of town so I am assuming they where either unable to care for it or realized they aren't as friendly as the thought. A very common thing with first time igg owners unfortunately. The local fire captain said he will go in after it only after a positive identification from someone familiar with the species (points finger at self).

The water hose may actually be a good idea, if nothing else create a movement as to it's location in the tree. A blue spruce tree is very thick and not very friendly to people,the last time i played in one i had welts and itched like hell for a week.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Brent Bittenbender

Brent Bittenbender Embryo

I've done the water thing with a bearded before. Got him down... straight up another one. But, eventually we got him that way. I felt bad spraying, but no real harm done.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. reptileden0

reptileden0 New Member

Its been a while but for future thought, Bait a long bodied live trap. Tether it as high up on a limb as possible as secure as possible. Use highly scented fruit/veggie mix. Curiosity and hunger get them usually to take the bait.