I'm new and would like to get to know you guys/gals

Discussion in 'General Discussion and Introductions' started by Rainey, Dec 4, 2002.

1. Rainey

Rainey New Member

Hey all!

I'm new to this forum, but some may know me from Cornsnake Forums or ssnakess.com

I would love to get to know all of you and I'd like y'all to know me a bit better. So it would be cool if you'd tell me (us) a bit about yourselves.

I'm 22, I live in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada. I am a professional graphic designer. I own 2 female cornsnakes (Katie and Kassie). I am engaged, and I'll be getting married in May. I'm a Star Wars Nut. I play ultimate in the summer. I love photography and I think I take pretty good photos.

So that's me, can I (we) hear about you?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. CornLover

CornLover Embryo

Hi I'm new here too. Im 28 with 2 kids that are both snake crazy. My daughter likes corns and my son likes balls. The corns i'm pretty okay but I'm not too crazy over the ball idea . So I'm learning as much as i can before my son gets to an age where he can have a snake(hoping he'll take a corn instead) I have all sorts of animals so i guess snakes will just add to the group. However at this moment we are staying at my parents so I do have some breathing room before I have to take care of my daughter's snake on my own.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Rainey

Rainey New Member

Hey Cornlover!

Nice to meet you! Corns are so great, I have to admit though, I do love Ball Pythons too! Quite honestly, Balls are very gentle, and have a great temperment, as long as you treat them well, as with corns. I wouldn't worry too much about them, they're harmless like corns.

Thanks for the reply, happy herping!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. CornLover

CornLover Embryo

My sister has 3 balls ( a breeding pair and a rescued) all have very definite personalities and to be really fair they all have very nice temperments very gentle. Most horses that have been through what her rescued ball (Anlansis)would have pretty servere distrust of humans. Alnisis is very gentle and sweet although because of lack of nutrition she is pretty short(she is filling out and starting to grow to the length she should be at 3 years old) I'm more concerned of their size relative to his size though.he is so small compared to how long and wide they get. Im reall new to snakes and really want to learn much more about them before i make any kind of descision.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

First, it is great that you are doing your research about the ball pythons prior to buying one. I love mine, it is very docile and easy to maintain. My five year old boy loves it, but then again he loves all of our reptiles. :)

Second.... Me:
    I am 30 years, oh wait, 31 years old, married, and have a five year old son. I currently work as an operations manager/network admin for a small equipment rental company.
    Here is a link to the animals that we have.....
    http://www.stormyworld.net/pages/animals/animal_index.html

[Edited on 12/9/2002 by stormyva]

[Edited on 12/9/2002 by stormyva]

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Rainey

Rainey New Member

Hey Stormy!

It was great to meet you! How long have you been married? I took a look at your site and it's got some great pics.

Can you tell me a bit about your childrens python and your carpet python? Stuff like temperment, caring for them, grown size? I'm interested!

12. stormyva

Rainey,
    This is my second marriage, we were married this past May. We had a wonderful Western Themed wedding, "down on the farm" :) It was a really fun way to do a wedding that was very relazed, inexpensive, and informal. Here is a link to some of the pics......
    http://www.stormyworld.net/pages/wedding/wedding/index1.html
    (That's me riding in on the horse :) Wearing the cowboy hat that I will probably never ever wear again :))

As for the snakes......
    The Children's Python is a tiny little thing, right now it is only about 6" long. He was only around 3.5" long when he was given to me as a gift in July. It took nearly eight weeks to get it to start eating properly. For the first couple months we had the snake it was a bit jumpy and stressed easily so we handled frequently but for short periods of time. Now that it is getting a little bigger and more confident it eats regularly and seems to tolerate being held much better. The snake will max out at about 3' so cage size is a breeze a ten to fifteen gallon cage is all that will be required for most of it's life. As a full grown adult I will probably keep it in something around 36x18x18. The humidity levels and temps are fairly easy to keep as well. Overall now that it is settled in it is one of the easiest snake that I have to care for.

The Irian Jaya is one of my favorites. It is on the smaller side of the morelias topping out at around 6' long. They are partially, some will say mostly, arboreal so I have several limbs and things for him to climb on. His tempermant is great! He is very inquisitive and has never struck or hissed at anyone. He also has that sweet little puppy dog face that a lot of the carpets seem to have.

13. CornLover

CornLover Embryo

besides size difference what is the difference between the childrens and the blls?

14. stormyva

There are a lot of differences between a Children's Python and a Ball Python.
    For one the the children's will stay much smaller, maxing out at around 3' and will stay a lot slimmer than the ball python will. The Children's comes from Australia and the ball pythons native habitat is West Africa. The ball requires a lower humidity level and somewhat higher temps than the Childrens does.
    Here is some information on the Children's Python.....
    http://www.a1pythons.com/childrens.html
    http://www.smuggled.com/chicom1.htm

15. Rainey

Rainey New Member

Henry Piorun, the first website is a guy I've talked to, he's who I bought my first cornsnake from. He's really cool and he's Canadian! He's got a very very nice website! Lots of information!