im new to chameleons

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by leighann, Mar 26, 2009.

1. leighann

leighann Embryo

hi everyone, hows it going?
    i went to a reptile exop on sunday and i got a baby abilobe panther chameleon.
    i was wounding if anyone had any tips that i could get in on so i know that i take care of my new baby properly. i heard they die very easily and i really DONT want that. shes a pickish color, she has 3 diferent types of fake leaves and i put a real plant also, she has vines, humiditi bark for the bottom. she has a water dish and i put a oxygen pump in it so the water moves around and i aso mist her 2 times a day.
    i do have one question... does noie stress them out? i have 2 dogs and they love to run around and temd to bark wen they get to exited and the oxygen pump makes a lil noise and vibrates, is it stressing her out?????

thanks

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Jayme

Jayme New Member

Hello leighann.

I've owned chameleons for a short stint, but due to improper research I failed to successfully care for them. So my number one tip is to do your research. Even the 'hardy' chameleons are not easy to care for.

Chameleons are easily stressed, so I also recommend that you rarely handle your chameleon, if ever (especially while it is a baby), except for necessary instances such as cage cleaning and vet trips.

I know from reading a website in the above link that chameleons do not have very good hearing, but I don't know about the vibrations. If you're uncertain, it might be better to not risk it and keep her in a low activity area of the house.

Hope this helps,
    Good luck! :lol:

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. leighann

leighann Embryo

hi, i keep her in my room but the odd times i forget to close my door my dogs are in there right away, i only held her when i first got her and then she would get off me lol shes so cute, since then i havent but i put my hand in and see if shell come on me and if she doesnt i leave her alone. thanks for the web, im defenatly going to look at it. i did do alot of reserch but you can never have enought, beside everyons wright diferent things about them so its hard to determin if its true or not.
    wen i got her i never asked how old she was, is there a way to know by a pic?

thanks

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Jayme

Jayme New Member

Very good that you don't force handle her. Points for you! Hehe.
    So true about never researching enough.. I've been regularly researching information for my leopard gecko and even after three months I'm still learning new stuff. The care of animals is very opinionated, so it's a good idea to get information from many different sources then average them into hopefully an ideal care plan. :lol:

From a picture we can guesstimate, I'm not very familiar with panther chameleons, so I don't think I'd be much help there. =/ But by all means post one! It'd be cool to see her and perhaps someone else on the site might know enough to guess.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. leighann

leighann Embryo

yeah theres a lot of info especialy leopard geckos i find, i have 3 and 2 are doing really good but my third one wasnt eating and now she is but her tail is still small, theres so many diferent reasons why they dont eat so its kinda hard to point the right one out so i put her in a diferent terrarium. iv been trying to sell them becuase i have to may reptiles at my appt. and its hot like theres no tomorrow, but yeah i will take a picture tonight and post it up on monday becuase i dont have a computer at home but at work i can do it.

thanks