In Memory of Spot

Discussion in 'Rainbow Bridge' started by Cerus, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Cerus

Cerus Well-Known Member

This is Spot, my Tokay. He died about a year ago shortly after a vet checkup for parasites. He and two of my Leos back then were all taken into a back room for treatment for possible parasites. All three came out lethargic and barely alive. Thye all died within a few hours, I never got a chance to get pics of the leos. :cry: R.I.P.

[​IMG]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Just_Some_Guy

Just_Some_Guy Well-Known Member

very pretty Gecko shame he died

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

Wow, what was your vet's explanation for it?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Cerus

Cerus Well-Known Member

When I started to follow him into the room he told me I wasn't allowed and that I'd have to wait outside which I thought was very odd. Once they came out and I noticed they all weren't moving much, the Tokay wouldn't even "bark" at me (he was a typical Tokay going in and calm as a Leo when he came out) I asked the vet what was wrong with them and he told me that a lot of the time they don't survive the deworming. I told him that was a bunch of bull and I refused to pay the 200$ bill. I found this very strange overall, this vet came very highly recommended but he chose to deworm them all before they even did a fecal which btw, came back normal. Tokay's are one of my all time favs but I've stayed awam from them because of this incident. All I got was a "sorry, this does happen alot".

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. wolverine0001

wolverine0001 New Member

sorry to hear about spot cerus. I live about 6 miles west of you and was wondering which vet you use. I dont want to take my pets to the same one if thats how they will be treated.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Cerus

Cerus Well-Known Member

Oh this was quite a few years ago, back when I lived up north in Champaign.

12. Zombie

Zombie Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about all this Cerus, Spot sure did look an amazing gecko.

13. Cerus

Cerus Well-Known Member

Thank you for your condolences....He was quite the little pistol, I had him for about 2 years. He never let me touch him or even come near him without a fight. He nailed be a couple of times so I'll always have the scars and pics to remember him by :)

14. skeetmaster

skeetmaster New Member

fdsfs

whuts lethargic mean and im begginning to think that vets kill the geckos worse than parasites do isnt there some kinda cream or medicine to give to geckos to make them kill of the mites and stuff?

15. Cerus

Cerus Well-Known Member

RE: fdsfs

Lethargic means a state of sluggishness, inactivity, and apathy. True, many of the treatments for parasites (and were talking about internal parasites, not external like mites) are very harsh and babies and juvies sometimes cannot handle it. None of these were infested with mites, the Tokay had internal parasites (which is pretty common since the majority of Tokays are wild caught) and the vet assumed the leos did as well without even checking. I imagine what happened with the Tokay was that it became violent when he attempted to hold it and the vet ended up holding too tight and hurting him. I should have filed charges of some kind against him, NEVER let a vet tell you that you can't be present at the time of treatment. If he does, tell him to kiss your @ss and leave. I hope Spot nailed him before he killed him.

16. georgieboy13

georgieboy13 New Member

RE: fdsfs

such a pretty gecko i hope that b*****d vet gets what he deserves.