info on tokay geckos

Discussion in 'Tokay Geckos' started by skoo, Jul 5, 2004.

1. skoo

skoo Embryo

im plannin on gettin a gecko, and the pet store here has a topkay for sale. i was wonderin if there is anyone here who has one and who can give me some feed back on how they are.
    i know they can be very aggressive, but i haven't been able to find out much more on them.
    thanks

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. skoo

skoo Embryo

(continued).. any info on golden geckos would help to. trying to find out which is the best buy.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. ferret_corner

ferret_corner New Member

Tokays = aggressive, large voracious. Fascinating colors, mouth full of teeth or teeth like thingys that make you bleed, they stick to glass, breed readily in my old petshops' ceiling space. They eat crickets, worms and pinky mice (not often though, pinkies are to fatty), prone to mouth rot (I don't know why, always had one in every shipment that needed treatment.), um SPEEDY little buggers, hence them breeding in the shop ceiling. I PERSONALLY don't think they are easy to tame, but it can be done.

I know NOTHING about golden geckos.

Sharon

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. geicomygecko

geicomygecko New Member

welll if there is a petco by you they have some pretty detailed care sheets on them just ask a person there , i got one about aft's and it even lists there sicknesses and stuff like that :mrgreen:

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. reako45

reako45 Member

There's a really good book about Tokays by McKeown & Zoworski(?). I don't know if I've got the authors name right. The book is very comprehensive. I've got 2 Goldens, Midas & Sunny, both female. Good info's available @ www.wnyherp.org/cs-goldengecko or www.leo-land.net. I got my Goldens @ a show for $25. They take awhile to get used to their surroundings, at least mine did (2 weeks). Sunny's still a bit shy, but once Midas got over her shyness she proved very curious. She even watches TV. They're really cute and neat to watch.

reako45

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. chris_wade

chris_wade New Member

yeh id go with the golden gex over the tokays at first. golden';s are better to handkle without so much worry of losing a finger lol. nah dont get me wrong i love tokays but id go with golden''s they look just as good too.

12. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

if you get a tokay when it is young and are willing to take a couple of good bites from it....with regular handling it will become handable and tame

13. chris_wade

chris_wade New Member

i gotta get some tokay's i gotta save up for them too lol. ill get mine as babies so i can tame them easier. lovely looking gex though

14. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

yes they are and e prepared to get bit a couple times :-

15. chris_wade

chris_wade New Member

[​IMG]

always ready to hang on lol