Instead of being a club contending for a wild-card berth

Discussion in 'Rainbow Bridge' started by zhangzk, Apr 17, 2019.

1. zhangzk

zhangzk Embryo

SEATTLE (AP) — The running joke is that when the Seattle Mariners arrive for the first day of spring training everyone will need to wear “Hi Jose Quintana Jersey , my name is” nametags.It might not be a bad idea for manager Scott Servais to consider.“I’m very excited to go to spring training, to get with this group, and hit the reset button a little bit on our clubhouse and what we’ve got going,” Servais said.Seattle begins spring training in a full rebuild mode — al bout rebuilding and restructuring and ripping it down. You don’t have to rip it down to put yourself in a better position.”Other things to watch as the Mariners start reporting next Monday, ahead of the early season opener in Japan on March 20 against Oakland:NEW LOOK: Gone are Robinson Cano, Nelson Cruz, Jean Segura, Mike Zunino, Ben Gamel, Guillermo Heredia, and with them a lot of the offensive production from recent seasons. The Mariners’ offseason trades and roster decisions saw them bid farewell to the heart of their batting order in Segura http://www.chicagocubsteamshop.com/authentic-david-ross-jersey , Cano and Cruz. Yet the drop-off shouldn’t be significant at the plate. Seattle added speed in outfielder Mallex Smith and shortstop J.P. Crawford. They got a potential big bat in outfielder Domingo Santana and likely improved offensively behind the plate with Omar Narvaez.One to watch in spring will be third baseman Kyle Seager. If he can rebound from a terrible te game is nearly completely gone from baseball. Shutouts are vanishing, too.The numbers are striking.Go back to 1978, and there were more than 1,000 complete games in the majors. Move to 2003, and the total was about 200. In 2018, though, there were only 42 — the lowest total in the sport’s history, according to Baseball-Reference .com — and just 19 of those were shutouts Dustin Pedroia Jersey , the fewest since the 1870s.Or to put it a different way: Roughly every other game featured a starter who went the distance 40 years ago, whereas about one in every 55 games did last season. Stars of the 1960s and ’70s such as Bob Gibson, Steve Carlton or round the sport is that it’s not that pitchers are no longer born with shoulders or elbows capable of producing complete games, but that their teams simply won’t let them even try and generally don’t properly prepare them to do so.“Everyone,” Atlanta Braves right-hander Kevin Gausman summed up, “is obsessed with pitch count now.”It’s a trend that seemed to gain steam in the 2000s, not coincidentally as more and more pitchers were getting elbow injuries that required Tommy John surgery.Don’t let most guys throw too hard for too long, the thinking goes.“There’s a general pullback in the industry Babe Ruth Jersey , because they couldn’t comprehend why so many people were getting hurt. The biggest mass effect you can have is workload,” Houston Astros righty Ge t truly matters is that his team wins — not how it happens.His initial complete game arrived in his 179th big league start; he has 10 over the past five seasons.“There were opportunities where I could have pitched one sooner. But it didn’t matter. I could have gone back out there http://www.redsoxproshops.com/authentic-dustin-pedroia-jersey , but we’re winning by 10 or 11 runs, so why go pitch the ninth? So I can say that I did it? No, then I’m hurting the team. It would be a selfish accomplishment,” Scherzer said. “There’s times where if you can get a rest, take it. You’re actually helping the team more by not doing it.”He also pointed to another element: th of fatigue.By the time they get to the majors, they’re not used to working through that.“We have a way of trying to evolve as an industry that’s taken out a little bit of the ‘machismo’ that goes with the complete game,” Astros manager A.J. Hinch said. “I’m not sure if that’s good or bad, but it’s part of the evolution of analytics being applied at a higher rate across the board.”