Irian Jaya Carpet Python

Discussion in 'Other Pythons' started by Mawowie, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Mawowie

Mawowie Embryo

i got an irian jaya carpet python from a reptile expo that was nice when i first got him but then when i tried to get him out the next day he decided to be really agressive, i couldnt even get near the glass, i can get up to the glass now without him striking i just wanna know how i can get to handle him?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Usually when reptiles move from one cage to the next they are very stressed. I would let him be for about a week to 2 weeks and let him settle in his new home before trying to handle him. If he's skittish and attacking the side of the tank you also might want to cover the sides of the tank with construction paper or a towel to make him feel safer.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. WingedWolf

WingedWolf Member

Of course, give him several weeks to settle in, and start feeding regularly for you, before you try handling.

Make sure you have a good, small, single-entrance hide for him. Snakes need to feel secure. If he's constantly anxious, he's not going to be very receptive to being handled!

Also, don't let him intimidate you. Get a small snake hook, and start hook training him. A snake will RARELY bite a hand that it's sitting on. (The hand that it's not sitting on is another story, lol).

Remember that a bite from a hatchling really doesn't hurt, so don't be hesitant, because he will pick up on that, and be more likely to strike.