Is breeding butterworms possible?

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by Crazy_Fool1, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Crazy_Fool1

Crazy_Fool1 Member

so ive heard that breeding butterworms is impossible..... is there anyone here who has any information about that topic or knows where i coudl do sum research about it?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. DaremoAlpha

DaremoAlpha Member

It cannot be done in North America as the worms come from Chile and are irradiated to kill parasites and sterilize them before shipping.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Crazy_Fool1

Crazy_Fool1 Member

whats irradiated? and where could i look uip more information about them do u know?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. DaCubs

DaCubs Well-Known Member

Irradiated means they subject them to low levels of radiation that doesn't kill the worms, but kills any parasites they may be carrying. Kinda like an x-ray machine. The side-effect is that they become sterile.

If you do a google search you can find alot of info. That's what I end up doing about once every 2 months when I decide I'm going to get butters. But then I never get around to ordering any :?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Crazy_Fool1

Crazy_Fool1 Member

well i have a great relativey cheap place to order them from... i was just wondering how come they couldnt breed...thanks for answering that... too bad though

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. DaremoAlpha

DaremoAlpha Member

I just looked at that site and never noticed a shipping cost table... you may want to consider that or look at other sources as well.
    Silkworms.ca is where I bring my stuff in from and I am very happy with the quality of what I have gotten so far.
    Plus if your ready to order the same time I am we can get it all shipped together and save the cost of shipping partially.
    I am also still thinking hard about hornworms but i have also been informed they are harder to manage than silkies and butterworms too.

12. tinster

tinster New Member

I lucked out just this past weekend. I was searching around on craiglist and found a breeder of Silkworms in my city - AND he lives just 1 block away from my house. So no shipping cost for my orders and the guy is really cool - is giving me an addition discount and tons of mulberry leaves :)

Tin

13. Crazy_Fool1

Crazy_Fool1 Member

u lucky son of a gun...

14. DaremoAlpha

DaremoAlpha Member

Well I am trying to get a breeding set up here too but just going to keep it small scalle if I can, myself and and a few people. Nothing big and fancy thats for sure at least not yet LOL