Is it normal for my Anole to be 6 years old?

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by PowerNewt, Mar 28, 2008.

1. PowerNewt

PowerNewt Embryo

Is my Anole extra old or something? It's a female and she's 6 or 7 and when I got her she was in a tiny 1 cricket sized carrier without heat, pretty well homeless and not quite fully grown.
    I didn't know anything about anoles when I got her and she didn't get the best care for a long time.
    She's in a screen house now about the size of a 20gal. UVB CF bulb, night heat lamp, day heat lamp misted and fed well. She loves newly shed mealworms and is so interested in everything. She likes going outside to sit in the sun in the summer and wath everything.
    She used to let me vacuum her house with a handheld vacuum and not get scared!! I lived in the counrty and she went outside in her house all the time. I'm in Lasalle now.. yuck! :) The lizard likes moving, and going in the car, gets her eating and hunting more.
    I got a new anole for her entertainment and she attacked her so fast, made a flying javelin lunges to kill/eat the new one... luckily the new one was very fast. (she's not here anymore)

I don't know what kind she is. She has a dewlap, I think she's just a Green anole, she's quite small. stripe down the back, turns brown sometimes.. lays eggs too.

:)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

Wow, an anole that is 6-7 years old! I've never seen that before in captivity tbh! Seems like you must have done a great job, keep up the good work!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. plmarsg8

plmarsg8 Well-Known Member

It seems that you must be doing everything right so far.

I do know a man on another forum that has a pretty old green anole named Thor. It is like 7-9 Years old.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

Wow 7-9 years old! That just shows that with the right care, anoles can easily live thier 2-3 year life expectancy in captivity which is only so low due to the fact that in general, people seem somewhat uneducated about their care.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. PowerNewt

PowerNewt Embryo

Well, thanks, I never thought I really did anyhing quite properly for her, but she's tough! I think it might have a lot to do with my taking her outside in the summer. I've seen her look like she was on her last day, then in good weather when I put her out she's like a baby lizard again. I never really let anyone near her. She's a bit paranoid, but loves car rides (moving) sometimes she stops eating for a long spell, and if I move her in a car, or change her house all around she starts hunting. She likes freshly shed mealworms while they're still white. I've never used fake plants, only banaba plants, prayer plants and a picky dragon tree I think it is... Most of her life she had a are floor with nothing on it, but now it's dirt... moss and plants and she's quit eating again.
    I'm sure she'll take up eating again soon. There's a shed piece on her nose and that too might be why she won't eat again... she comes back to health so fast.
    :)

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Rawksan

Rawksan Embryo

Wow, you're lucky because she was so young when you got it! She will probably live some more years.
    I had a couple, a female and a male that lived 7½ and 8 years with me respectively. My female was full grown when I bought her, so I don't even know how old she was exactly.
    I bought my male 2 months after her, and he was an adult of unknown age also.

I don't think anoles are supposed to live only 2 or 3 years in captivity, except if they live in awfully wrong parameters for T° and food. This is their life expectancy in the wild.
    Anole should live around 6 to 8 years in captivity, easily, with proper care.

They were my first lizards, and I did many errors during the first years I had them both, but with many readings and internet search, I corrected my setup and I had healthy anoles with me for 8 years :)
    They now definetly are my favorite lizards even though I had other species; I am anole freak xD

I now have 4 of them, 2 are babies I raised from other parents, and they do fine. I am keeping record of their birthday and age precisely so I can change the way we see anole life expectancy in captivity with precise data.

Keep up the good work with your anole, and I wish him 3 more years to live!