is keeping beardie difficult?

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by teiryklav, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Daggerlover

Daggerlover Well-Known Member

I personally put a fresh bowl of water in terrarium once a week. I take it out after that day is up (no, I don't leave the bowl in there for a whole week :)), and Skitter seems to have a hay day playing in it and making a mess, and usually pooping in it.

They do not require a water dish, but if you want one you just must be sure to change it every day to stay away from bacterial infections that may occur.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. MimC

MimC Moderator

Hm - i used to not keep a water dish with my dragons either, my female ended up getting dehydrated (despite her soaks) and actually got blocked by hardened urates.

After that i put her water dish back in with her, and she has never had an issue since.

I live in maine, its AWFULLY dry here with incredibly low humidity also - i have to keep a water dish in the tank otherwise the humidity is too low, with the water dish i maintain a nice humidty of approx 40% and with the water dish and weekly soaks my female has been regular and has not had any more issues with stool blockages.

I rarely see either of them drink, but i do catch them occasionally

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. kephy

kephy Moderator

I guess it depends on the conditions. Some beardies may do better with a dish, and as long as it's changed and cleaned daily it certainly doesn't hurt. But in most cases if the right conditions for humidity, diet, and regular baths are met, it's not a requirement.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. MimC

MimC Moderator

yeah, i think humidity is the key too - i suspect a large part of my issue was the fact that the ambient humidity was so low in my house, th water dish was necessary to bring it up.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. teiryklav

teiryklav Member

i guess beardie should have low humidity isnt that?
    arent they live in semi tropic and desert?

btw my teacher found a green tree dragon or green crested lizard here, but i think the condition is bad (i has maggots coming from its nose and to its mouth) so can i use an antiworm medicine for human (with a small amount ofcos)??
    i wanted to give it water bowl and wood too today but beacuse its in my school, and EITHER MY SCHOOL AND HOUSE IS FLOODED now, i cant get there the school shut down,,
    i'm worried about it,,
    luckily my snake ate yesterday, the house gecko will be dead if she didnt eat it and i cant get her for a few days, thats bad,

but i'm a bit off-topic, if u want to reply you can do that at the general lizard (here is also fine)
    thx :p :)

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. MimC

MimC Moderator

Beardies need relatively low humidity, but not as low as 0% or anything. Humidity levels that are too low can lead to skin and respirtory issues. A humidity of approx 40% is good for beardies.

Unfortunatey i dont know much about green tree or green crested lizards - i would do some research and set him up with the proper enclosure.

I would not use human dewormer - dewormers need to be specifically dosed depending on the weight of the animal and the parasite you are trying to eliminate. Any chance of getting a fecal sample to a vet?

12. kephy

kephy Moderator

If it really has maggots in it's mouth and nose, it needs to see a vet ASAP. A dewormer is not what it needs. It needs the maggots removed, the area cleaned and disinfected, and antibiotics as it's most likely infected in those areas.

13. teiryklav

teiryklav Member

i cant get her to a vet, first i cant find one,
    and my parents wont let me to that "just because for a small lizard" they will said that T.T
    if i let them what will happen?

14. kephy

kephy Moderator

I don't know what will happen if you let it go without treatment. If he truly has maggots feeding on necrotic tissue inside his nose or mouth, I'm sure it's painful, he will probably get an infection, and he may not survive.

Now this brings up another issue I feel must be addressed. If you do not have any vets in your area that treat lizards, and/or your parents refuse to get vet treatment for a lizard, then I must say I don't think you should be getting a bearded dragon or any other pet lizard for yourself. All pets need access to vet care when sick or hurt. You never know when they may come down with unexpected injuries or illness. If you have no means to get them the treatment they need when sick or injured, then you probably shouldn't have them as pets since that is a major part of being a pet owner. You can't just cross your fingers and hope nothing ever goes wrong. If something does go wrong, you need to be able to treat it. If you can't then you need to be able to say to yourself, this isn't the right time or place to get a pet.

15. teiryklav

teiryklav Member

i see..
    no, the problem is not that thing, thats a wild caught lizard, my parents dont even know what it looks like. ofcourse i will tell them if i will have a bearded dragon and would make them to decide any care of that animal will be accepted. if they cant, i wont take any,, this is not me, but many people judge animal from sometimes its price, ofcos this GTD is not really valuable for them, but if they bought me a BD and its sick they know that its expensive, of course they would let me. once again this is not me, its my parents, i do what i can.

out from the vet, yes, vet are really rare in my place now, but next year i'm going to move, i hope i can find one there. i'll consider not buying any reptilian pets if i cant find any vet.
    i will not be selfish. if i cant find any vet, that way i'm just killing my animal

btw today i see it and it seems healthy, it eat some cricks i get from my friend, it even jumped to take a high placed cricks.
    i hope it got alright, or the maggot has died..

16. teiryklav

teiryklav Member

i've talked to my parents even about that GTD, they say i can get it to a vet,
    but i cant find one,
    i want to ask my friend,,
    maybe i can find one..

17. MimC

MimC Moderator

Good luck!

18. teiryklav

teiryklav Member

thx

btw, just a question, who made reptilerooms.com?
    is he/she still online?
    just wondering heehe

anybody know?

19. kephy

kephy Moderator

CheriS created and owns the site, and she still comes around from time to time, but she isn't very active anymore.

20. MimC

MimC Moderator

I miss CheriS' posts :) She always has such great imput! Thankfully we have several great members now, as well as the excellent care sheets and other info - but still, i miss Cheri and Ax!

21. teiryklav

teiryklav Member

oww,,
    do you know her?
    why is she not active anymore?
    how old is she?

and ax?
    you mean axe?

22. kephy

kephy Moderator

CheriS still posts occasionally, but they are few and far between. It's a very long story and not one I'm going to get into, but let's just say she's very busy.

23. teiryklav

teiryklav Member

wew..
    how many herps has she got?

24. kephy

kephy Moderator

I don't know.

25. teiryklav

teiryklav Member

oww..
    anyway i think there is no need to ask anymore, i've already known many from you all, when i got a beardie maybe i'll start asking again, thx all!
    GBU :D :) :)