Is my BP Growing Fast?

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by ChicagoCubs22, Jun 4, 2004.

1. ChicagoCubs22

ChicagoCubs22 New Member

Well i just handled him today, and he is growing like a weed. I got him last june, so he is maybe a little older then a year, since he may have been weeks old when i got him. Ive measured him all along the way, and i saw his rate i think a few inches per month or something, i forgot.

But now hes a little older then 1 year old, hasnt rejected ONE feed, and here's the stat:

He stretches in at 32 inches.

nearly 3 feet, and hes only a little older then 1 year. And he is a male, i got him probed. Now is this a fast growth rate or what?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

Depends on how you are measuring him. Are you measuring the shed? If so, then your measurements are probably longer than the snake actually is. But really, either way, as long as he's healthy, active, and growing, I don't think there are any problems. How often does he feed? As long as he's not overweight, I wouldn't worry about him.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. ChicagoCubs22

ChicagoCubs22 New Member

im measuring the snake itself. He feeds every 5-7 days

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

The only thing I can find on their growth rates says that they grow about a foot a year for about the first three years. Some grow faster when they are young and other will grow more later in their lives. Kind of depends on the individual. As long as they are not obese. Obesity is shown by inability to coil, scales spread apart, and lethargy. Here's the site I got the info from: http://www.ball-python.net/python.htm
    Hope this helps.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

A safer feeding schedule would be every 7-10 days. Much more than the 7 day schedule and you may chance the snake regurgitating among other health problems.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. caliking

caliking New Member

thats normal