Is she an exceptional egg layer?

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by LovinMyBeardie, Jun 4, 2005.

1. LovinMyBeardie

LovinMyBeardie New Member

On a different forum, a fellow is very excited because his female laid two clutches of eggs in two months.

My female was bred on April 25
    May 9 - laid 17 eggs (all fertile)
    May 24 - laid 14 eggs (all fertile)
    estimating June 8 - lay again

Is this not normal for a female to lay so often? She is our first breeder, so we really didn't know what to expect.

Also, how long does it normally take for the eggs to hatch? I've read that it can be anywhere between 40 and 90 days.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. liza714

liza714 Member

Rhonda multiple clutches from one mating are normal but are hard on a females body. Do you have the eggs in an incubator?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. k0rtnie

k0rtnie New Member

Given that she states that this is their first breeder, and also given that it's common sense to put eggs in an incubator, I don't think we really have to worry. No offense, but I'm starting to get irritated by how much you folks jump down people's throats when they post simple questions. She states that this is their first breeder. By the fact that she called her a 'breeder', I'm guessing that breeding was intentional. In which case, I am assuming that she has done some research. At least, I hope she has. :( And with all of the mismatched information out there, it's easy to get confused. Everyone should get together and just write a book about bearded dragons, then mass produce it. Make sure it gets everywhere. I'd put $20 towards that. AND I'd go to every pet store in the Twin Cities and ask them to carry it. Gah... I'm just tired. I get fiesty when I'm tired.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. TáriStar

TáriStar Well-Known Member

Well Liza is correct. Laying too many eggs can stress out a female. Just make sure she's eating A LOT and getting Plenty of calcium supplements and vitamins.

You are doing fine. My friend breeds beardies... and her one female laid almost 80 eggs before she was done. (then again she is a big female to begin with)

Don't push her too hard, just make sure like i said she's getting the vits and calcium that she needs.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. liza714

liza714 Member

Kortnie as I had been talking to Rhonda on other posts about substrats, I was continuing in that vein. Secondly who are you the post police? Better safe than sorry and more info is way better than too little info. Many people on here breed their beardies by mistake and she said it was the first time breeding them. Get over yourself. People come on here looking for help.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. LovinMyBeardie

I didn't mean to cause any friction here. I am very sorry about that.

I can honestly say that this is something that I did not just jump into. I bought books, spoke to breeders and retailers, researched online, etc. However, it seems that those things quite often don't cover all of the topics that pop up. I love the fact that I can come on here and obtain opinions on certain areas. It can be written in a book, but that doesn't make it practical. I fell in love with my Tiger from the very first day, which led me to want more, and now to want to breed - for the pure love of it. I hope that's not wrong.

Tiger is our first breeder female and we have all of her eggs in the incubator. I have two more females coming in a couple of weeks. I'm very excited to meet them.

Anyway, sperm storage is something that I never heard of. We could not believe it when she started to show that she was gravid for the second time. Then I posted on here, and found out that it happens. We immediately moved the male into a different room of the house so they could not see each other. That didn't matter because she is gravid again.

She does get plenty of supplements. She eats atleast 20 large crickets per day which are dusted 5 times a week with calcium and twice a week with vitamins. I also dust her oranges with calcium. We give her a healthy mixture of veggies daily, but her treat is oranges. She just adores them.

I'd really like to see her take a break, but I obviously have no control on this. On the other forum, a guy said that one of his females laid 8 clutches in a season! I think this might have something to do with the female constantly seeing the male, but I'm no expert.

But, back to my questions :( Is it normal for a female to lay clutches every two weeks? Also, how long is the average hatch time for your eggs?

Thank you all for your help. I really do appreciate it.

12. CheriS

CheriS Is well known here

Gravid females can lay every 2 weeks - 6 weeks average for more than one clutch. Some that are bred only lay one clutch, most lay 2-3 and some can lay 5-8. Its normal for that dragon, but they all are different and it does not matter if they are fertile or not.

We have a girl that is a retired breeder, not been bred for 2 years but she is still laying egg, she has laid 5 clutches (15-21 eggs) so far this year. I wish she would not, but she is and she bounces back from each laying fine.

Another was breed and layed eggs 2 weeks later, and has laid a total of 3 clutches (24-32 eggs each) since 3/1/05 about a month apart and I think she is gravid again.

Another was not bred and has laid 2 clutches of eggs( 34 and 37 ) a month apart and still another that is not bred has laid one clutch.

Our girls are not in the same room with the boys, but girls that are bred do tend to lay more eggs than one's not bred.

Eggs can hatch in 45-75 days normally, most hatching around day 65 @ 82-84 incubation temps

13. k0rtnie

k0rtnie New Member

It doesn't seem that she's breeding her beardie by mistake. And no, I'm not trying to police the posts, I just think people should stop jumping on people for simple things. Think of how you word things - that's called perception. Try asking her what her set up is, or at least ask in a nicer way. If you beat up new people, they're more likely to stop coming here, and are less likely to get some of the help they may need. And if you think that I need to get over myself, then I guess it's safe for me to state an opinion as well - I think you're overly self-rightous.

14. liza714

liza714 Member

Right by asking her if she has an incubator thats self-righteous.

15. kephy

kephy Moderator

If somebody's going to have to be the post police, I guess it'll be me.

This bickering stops, NOW. It is silly and it's not helping to solve anyone's problems.

K0rtnie, you are the only one I see getting offended and starting friction. You apparently haven't been to many reptile forums, because this happens EVERYWHERE. The reptile community is a passionate one, and we all know there is a lot of misinformation, so disagreements are just going to happen anywhere you go. As long as there is no bickering and name-calling and truly offensive behavior, it's a pretty succesful conversation.

So far I have seen nothing so offensive here that merits going around scolding other people for their posts, especially when they aren't addressing you specifically. If someone is so offended by how their questions are answered, they can handle it themselves. This doesn't happen often, but when it does everyone usually handles it in a mature manner and things move on. If you see something that really bother's you, PM a moderator and let us take care of it. I know you mean well, but taking it upon yourself in this manner is only causing more problems.

Now this conversation is turning into bickering and name-calling. If it continues here I'm going to have to starting editing and deleting posts and I really hate that. If anyone has anything else to say on the subject, PM me.

16. LovinMyBeardie

Thanks for answering my questions all. I never meant to have this thread turn into anything negative.

kOrtnie, I do appreciate what you are trying to do. Sometimes us new owners feel lesser in comparison to the more experienced keepers, and sometimes we have done enough research that the simple questions make it seem like we know nothing.

Although, I (and I'm sure everyone here) knows that people are here to help and they need to ask these questions to gather all the information that they can in order to answer the best way that they can. I'm sure that we are all here to learn and share information. Hopefully not to try and prove that we are better than anyone else.

:)

17. BERLITZ

BERLITZ New Member

ur welcome

18. CheriS

Aww, so nice to have Kephy around to do the stuff I put off :)

I was actually replying on this. took a break and when I came back Kephy had posted and saved me the effort... Lets just say I was basically saying ditto to what she said. Those of you that have been around very long know how we feel about jumping on others and I did not see that here when it was brought up.

There is another site that often has someone condemning and jumping other poster, and that one complaining is the one that is the problem there!!! I hope we do not have to take steps to avoid becoming like that one....... as I WILL NOT allow that to happen on this site.

People online are pretty savvy, they are smart and know where to look.......it does not take long for them to figure out who and what sites actually have knowledgable people on it and who are parrotting without any real basis to know or kids

This site and a few others, under caresheets and knowledgebase have MORE & accurate info than any book out there for bearded dragons... and its free... also been there longer than any of the new 1-3 year old sites that have copied them. On any subject there will be people with different advice, look at their animals and reputations, if they do not have any/few or show any.few..... you know who not to listen to. If they have their own healthy, long lived animals and you can see they are also respected for their info... it does not take a rocket scientist to learn who to take advice from or who may know more than a parrott

19. k0rtnie

k0rtnie New Member

So... why do I need to get over myself?

p.s. I'm not starting an argument, I'm just stating my opinion. It's not necessary for anyone to try to 'break up the fight' (if you will). I realize that Stearn responses may be neccessary when helping new reptile owners, and that you really have to use a little agression to get their attention. I apologize if I have offended anyone, as that was NOT my intent.

20. CheriS

k0rtnie

Find another thread to make your point (if it exist), as it is not in this one... there are no "Stearn responses" or anyone "use a little agression to get their attention" Maybe you see it that way, but it seems no one else does and the direction of this discusion regarding that is closed.

I will not allow user to be accused of something or called names that no one but you seems to see. Maybe you need to go back and reread the thread and see why you read more into it than was there.

ANY further post on this thread will address the questions initially asked regarding eggs and being gravid.

21. TáriStar

0o and one more thing I almost forgot.

Are you using mice with your gravid females?

Just asking because its kind of a controversal (Grrr my spelling=bad) subject. I just want to know where you personaly stand with it.

22. k0rtnie

k0rtnie New Member

Btw, I am not the one who started the 'name-calling'. I've noticed you only mention it when responding to my posts.

23. LovinMyBeardie

Mice... that's a bit controversial with me. I'm just not sure that Beardies can digest their bones very well, yet they would be an excellent source of calcium.

Plus, I don't think that I could stomach it. I have a hard enough time with crickets and worms. :(

24. kephy

kephy Moderator

k0rtnie, you started EVERYTHING that is negative in this thread, as seen by both Cheri, myself, and the other members. You may not see it, but we all do. And now, after you've been told by TWO mods to drop it and take it to PM if you must, you still have to get the last word in.

I've gotten PMs from other members of the forum that don't appreciate your disruptiveness. When will it stop?

Any further posts by you in this thread that are not in reference to the original question ONLY will be immediately deleted.

---------------------------

Everyone else, I am sorry for this, it ends now. Please carry on. :evil:

25. TáriStar

RhondaC, ya i figured that. I'm trying to put an article about it together.

I'm going to set up an appointment for Yavie for the vet soon (just a checkup) and talk to him about it.

I would not feed yavie one... at least until i know all the facts