Is she an exceptional egg layer?

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by LovinMyBeardie, Jun 4, 2005.

1. SnowWhite

SnowWhite New Member

Yes I do have a lay box setup for her. It is a solid colored plastic storage bin with a mixture of cactus soil and vermiculite. I thought the solid color might keep her from scratching to get out. I dont have any sand in it, should I put that in too? I have a 100W heat bulb clamped to one end. I then put a screen top on it When I went home Sweet Pea was in her regular cage and she would lay in her water, jump to her log, then scratch at the glass. She repeated this routine several times. I took her out and put her in the lay box described above and she really calmed down but did not do any digging at all. She would just lay in the dirt. I made holes for her but she was not interested in digging at all.
    When I went to bed I put her back in her cage and put a blanket around it so she would not see her reflection. She slept quietly. When I left for work I kept the blanket on her tank and she seemed quiet. Now when I go home at lunch should I take her out of the cage and put her in the lay box until I return home from work? How long should I leave her in the lay box?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. SnowWhite

SnowWhite New Member

I forgot to mention that I do have her on repti-carpet in her cage. I did put a little dirt piled in the corner to see if she was interested in digging, which she is not. Thought this might explain what her cage is setup like.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. alison1

alison1 Member

my dragon had an egg that got stuck and my vet advised me to soak her in a warm bath!!! But l am glad you have said this cheri and thanks!!! Oh and hope you're feeling better!!!! And going back to the original question in this topic:- l noticed that lizzy's vent area swelled quite noticably on the morning she layed, l was actually looking at an egg form in her belly when l noticed and said to my husband that l think she might lay any day now!! We went to the beach and when we got back l found her burrying 12 eggs!!!! Not sure whether or not this is a regular thing to look out for but it might help!!!! And yes she dug alot too and did alot off basking even trying to stay in it when it had gone off for the night!!! Good luck!!!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. LovinMyBeardie

LovinMyBeardie New Member

I put Tiger in her laying box yesterday. She sat for a while and then scratched at the sides to get out. So, I took her out and put her back in her enclosure.

This morning, she was awake before me and had been doing some digging in her enclosure. I took her out and put her in her laying box. I started a hole for her, again. She sat for a while and then started digging away. She's been in there since about 7:00 this morning. It's 11:30 am now (so there goes my theory about late afternoon to early evening :)). She should be done soon.

Don't worry about leaving her in her lay box while you are at work, just put her in when you get home and see what she does.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. SnowWhite

SnowWhite New Member

Congrats on your eggs, thats wonderful.
    When I got home from lunch she was going crazy again. I had left before I got your response so I did leave her in her laying box. It is the only place that seems to calm her down. She does not dig in it but she does rest which I think is important also. I hope she lays by the time I get home, maybe with the quiet and being by herself will make her feel more comfortable. :)

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. CheriS

CheriS Is well known here

She is probably claming down as she find the lay box to her approval and she is frettting in the tank that its not right to lay. Some really are very choosy in what they want to lay in and take days to decide what is best that they want. I would keep putting her in it during her waking hours as long as she is calm about it and her temps are right.

Rhona, congrats, I hope she is laying and things do well, but it is right that the MAJORITY of the female beardies do lay around 4 PM... at least most ours and other breeder we have talked to do. We have a few girls that will lay early AM and one that thinls 9PM is when to start and she has keep us up til 2 AM laying, but the majority lay late afternoon.

12. SnowWhite

SnowWhite New Member

That is what I thought too. She seems so much happier in the laying box than in her tank. I will definatley take your advice until Sweet Pea changes her mind and decides she wants to do something else.
    I will have to wait until I get home and see if anything has happened. If I saw her dig I would feel better because then I would know that I have the correct type of substrate. Hopefully things will work out OK. I will send another post after I get home.

13. LovinMyBeardie

Yay!!! Tiger laid 21 eggs at aprox. 1:00 this afternoon!!! :D 51 eggs so far this season.

SnowWhite, soon it will be you. :)

14. SnowWhite

SnowWhite New Member

WAY TO GO TIGER!!!!!!

15. TáriStar

TáriStar Well-Known Member

Wow... I want a baby!

16. alison1

alison1 Member

Congratulations!!! Hope she's doing well!!!

17. LovinMyBeardie

She's doing excellent! I gave her a nice soak in her tub after I collected the eggs. She really enjoyed that. :D

SnowWhite, what's happening with your girl? I need to know because I am leaving for a week in the morning! :D

18. SnowWhite

SnowWhite New Member

Still no eggs. Now Im really worried. I had to resort to putting a laying box in her cage because she would not settle down any other way. I hope she doesnt become egg bound. She hasnt ate hardly anything for a few days. She looks like she is going to explode. She is not digging at all and shows no interest in the laying box. Any suggestions would really help. :?

19. alison1

alison1 Member

how long would you say shes been gravid for??? l believe that bd's can be gravid for up to something like 6 or 7 weeks but l'll have to double check that one!! think it ranges from 3-6 weeks!

20. SnowWhite

SnowWhite New Member

How long has she been gravid, Now that is where it gets difficult. I bought her the week of 5/9/05 and I was told that she was gravid then. The person that I bought her from did not seem to see a reason to provide me with hardly any information. She said that Sweet Pea had laid one clutch of eggs and then she put her back with a male.
    I was pretty stupid when I bought her and took it for granted that the person was trustworthy and knew what she was doing (I should have thought she didnt when she shipped the poor thing by USPS Express Mail). To make a long story short the lack of information and details about Sweet Pea makes it almost impossible to know a timeline for her. Everything about her pregnancy is strickly a guess. Like I said Sweet Pea
    is considered a rescue to me. I dont know if maybe the stress she went through with her shipping (getting lost in the mail for 5 days) has anything to do with her troubles now. :)

21. CheriS

CheriS Is well known here

Increase her calcium, if she is not eating, try giving her fluids with some calciu, in it, that often stimulates them to lay also besides so warm relaxing soaks

22. alison1

alison1 Member

The poor thing!!! At least she has a loving home now!! So she could be anything from 4-7 weeks!!?? Someone that is having one of my babies told a friend in the uk that l had dragons eggs and they phoned and asked if l would send them one!! 1, l wouldn't know where to start and 2 l like the facct that people around where l am living are having them so l can tell them which place to get the best crickets and l can not only help them get started with there new friend but can see how they are getting along!! All of my babies are going with this site address, a piece of lino (already have sizes for their vivs) and a container of crickets!!! l wish people where a bit more thoughtful towards animals!! Well good luck and hope she perks up for you soon!!

23. alison1

alison1 Member

sorry about the long winded message about everything and nothing l am bored and l babble when l'm bored!! :)

24. SnowWhite

SnowWhite New Member

Sweet Pea still has not laid her eggs yet. She looks like she is going to explode, I feel so sorry for her. I thought she was going to lay yesterday but didnt. Im thinking of taking her to the vet to see if she is egg bound, or should I just give her more time? She is not stressing out much now since I put the laying dirt in the corner of her cage. Hopefully she will lay be this weekend, keep your fingers crossed.

25. alison1

alison1 Member

Good luck!!!!