is she too small?

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by Shanna66, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

ellie will be 3 in a few months and is only about 3ft long. is she small for her age?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. crissybac

crissybac Embryo

3 years old?

Google dwarf pythons.

I used to own one. His name was "Ethan Elora." Lmao!! Total identity issues I must have given the poor thing but the name just came to me, Idk. He never grew and supposedly, per my ex-husband, is still only about the size of yours and thin, thin, thin!

You can feed it medium size rats though. As least we could feed Ethan medium size, I am not suggesting you do the same for yours either way. All I know is that it was hillarious after he ate because he had a little head and big body with a tiny tail sticking out the end. He always shacked up in this little hollow tree log we had inside the tanks. We had 2 hundred gallon rigged zig zig with a tree through the middle. This little guy was so cute!

Enjoy him.

Just treat him like any other python and if he seems hungrier than normal, go up a size on food.

Just in case he is not a dwarf, how often do you feed it? What are his living conditions like?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Shanna66

i give her a small rat each week, she is big enough around to feed her a slightly bigger rat but ive sitt got a bunch of small ones in the freezer i want to give her.

her temps are 90 and the humidity is always between 50-75%

my leopard gecko is named ethen :D

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Rachel - is there any way you can get a weight on her?

I know this is a rediculessly late response, but figured I'd go ahead and chime in. How accurately were you able to get her length? I know it can be hard to get an exact length measurement on snakes but she may be a little longer than you'd expect when full extented. I've had some break approx. 3+ft around the time of being yearlings, but I've noticed good ranges in my adults. How confident are you that Ellie is a she and not a he? :p It's pretty shocking comparing the size difference of an adult male and female.

Regardless of what the case may be, I'm confident that she is in great care and I'm sure she's perfectly healthy and fine = )

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Shanna66

just weighed her, 720grams

she may be a male, im not 100% sure, ive never really checked, im only assuming based in spur size and i know thats the worst way to sex a ball

as for length, im not 100% sure on that either, she is a very active snake and likes to move around and explore, i measured her last month and she seemed to be around 40in

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

It's really hard to say - I've heard of some animals just being naturally smaller but perfectly healthy. I have no doubt in my mind that she isn't being perfectly cared for, so I'd bet my money on her genes... and possibly even sex.

A good friend of mine has a female now that is an 07 and only weighs in at 1100 grams - he said she eats like a pig but just won't put on weight, and everything was OK'd by the vet in addition. I have a couple of females in the 700-800 gram range myself and I'd say they are about the same length as yours. And although even adult males will typically reach sizes larger than yours per age, it seems more plausible for a male to be this size than a female...BUT we really may never know without being able to look at and interpret her genes = P

I wouldn't be too worried about the little lady, as long as she is active, eating, and otehrwise healthy I'm sure she's just dandy! Perhaps she is just unique = )

12. Shanna66

ive never taken to to the vet so i dont know if she is perfeclty healthy, but she acts fine, always active, always as loving as a snake can be, and always wants to come out and be held ^.^

13. slackin

slackin Member

If you're feeding her once a week and she's still on the small side, then it's more than likely just the way she is. If you weren't feeding her regularly, that would be a different story. Sounds like you're doing fine and I wouldn't worry about it.