Is this a bad idea?

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by jshoe, Sep 20, 2011.

1. jshoe

jshoe Embryo

I have an adult honduran milk. He's pretty calm. I recently just got a yearling brazilian rainbow. She's incredibly docile and a great snake. I was wondering if I could have them out of the cages at the same time. I had them out today with one snake in each hand but wouldn't let them get close. They didnt really even seem to notice one another. Is it a bad idea for them to be out together. Should i just be safe and keep them separate?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

Definitely keep them separate. These aren't social animals at all, nor are they "domestic," so their behavior is not going to be predictable. In an emergency, you can get away with one in each hand if you are keeping them out of sight and out of reach, but still avoid doing so if at all possible.

By the way, have any pictures of these guys to share? I love rainbow boas so I'd love to see, and I know we're all kind of picture nuts around here, lol. =D

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. reptileden0

reptileden0 New Member

Definitely keep them separate. These aren't social animals at all, nor are they "domestic," so their behavior is not going to be predictable. In an emergency, you can get away with one in each hand if you are keeping them out of sight and out of reach, but still avoid doing so if at all possible.

Exactly. When I was younger I had an Ig and a Amazon tree Boa that "got along" but this boa wasnt typical. he refused anything live for food. They would sun bask and that was their limit, and always supervised. Undomesticated, and even domesticated animals have food instincts. You cant train this out nor should you. They can be slightly modified but even then the programmed instinct is intact and they can and will revert to that. Some reptiles can be kept together .. Ive had young water dragons and young iguanas live well together. Some same sex same breed snakes, and so on. But with undomesticated animals caution is key.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. jshoe

jshoe Embryo

Yeah that's what I figured, just double checking. Thanks!