Is this a good tank setup? (pics)

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by jaykemper, Sep 15, 2005.

1. jaykemper

jaykemper Member

I was wondering if this was a good tank setup or not, if anyone see's anything wrong or has a question about it please tell me.

Entire Cage:
    [​IMG]

Basking Side:
    [​IMG]

UV Side:
    [​IMG]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. danlbridgh20

danlbridgh20 New Member

im not really likeing the sand.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Sunrose

Sunrose New Member

I personally do not like sand either. Too many impaction risks - what kind of sand is it btw? Also the water dish is a debated topic, many say that is raises the humidity too much and can also harbour bacteria - I personally don't use one. I just take Solo out and mist him a couple of times a day and give him a bath every few days. Your Beardie should be getting plenty of water from his greens :D I like the general look with the wood and the plant (is it real or fake - the one on the ground?)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. nakedjellybean

nakedjellybean New Member

I think it looks awesome. As long as it is washed, screened sand then it will be fine. Cehck the humidity level. With your dish being on the cool side it should also be ok. What is the yellow thing in the back corner? Good job, hope your beardie likes it.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. jaykemper

jaykemper Member

The kind of sand is walnut shells i think... it came with the cage, he currently has had no impactions however i think i may end up changing it because he has been nose diving into the sand for crickets lately... any suggestions on what i should use, how much it costs, and how you clean it?
    As for the plants: The plants are all fake, i have never seen the one you are talking about Sunrose in any pet store... i like it too so i was looking for some others like it. I got it with the tank.
    And: As for the yellow thing in the back, lol, its a stuffed heart... it takes away from the look of the cage abit but he loves to lay his belly or head on it cause its so comfy.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Freaky_pete

Freaky_pete Well-Known Member

sand out now... trust me... do it... get shelf liner or anything.. too much of a risk to take... and if he nose dives for crickets hes eatting the sand as well...

12. clarinet45

clarinet45 Well-Known Member

crushed walnut is one of the worst, take it out now and replace it with papertowels. As for non-particle, i am partial to tile [slate or ceramic] that ISN"T coated, lay grout and seal with aquarium sealer. Very easy to spot clean.
    I don't know if it's just me, but it doesn't seem like he can get very close to the UV or heat. What's you temps where he is now? [digitally?]

13. jaykemper

jaykemper Member

ya, i agree with the heat lamp thing.... when i take him out he's still warm but not as warm as i would like him, but he doesnt go on the tree anymore, does it look to small for him? should i buy a bigger one or is he just stubborn? As for the temp... the thermoter broke last week and ive been sick and really busy cause school just went in and hockey just started... i dont know how it broke tho but im going 2 buy a new one this weekend hopefully.

14. clarinet45

basically, you have no idea what the temps are. You have no idea if he's digesting. i suggest getting out to walmart tomorrow and getting a digital ASAP.

15. jaykemper

jaykemper Member

i already said i was going to do that. my question is does the branch look to small for him or is he just stubborn?

16. clarinet45

17. jaykemper

jaykemper Member

i noticed your hammock seems to be under the heat lamp, should i do that?

18. jaykemper

jaykemper Member

also branches from outdoors are ok? or no? should i buy the fake ones at petstores?

19. clarinet45

i put my hammock under the heat lamp cause that's were she usually is, especially in the morning when she;s warming up, it's really up to you. I use outside wood all the time, driftwood and bricks [that big rock] are all from around the city. Wash/scrub with bleach, soaking, rinsing very well, and baking are all good ways to make sure nothing survives to hurt your beardie.

20. jaykemper

jaykemper Member

Ok, ya the rock under my beardie's heat lamp is from outside, he doesnt go on his hammock to often but when he does he stays on it forever... i think it might be too high for him where it is but i could go and find a branch and figure out something if i put it under the heat lamp.

21. ReptileCrazy

ReptileCrazy Well-Known Member

If you use branches from outside make sure to steralize them well. Beardies are clusmy and really like branches that fully support them. All of my dragons basking spots are at least as wide as her, if not wider. They also like to bask in more horizontal positions as they get older, your beardie may not like the angles of his branches.

As everyone else said, crushed walnut is very bad, its a million times more dangerous than sand, and its probably almost as dagnerous as calci-sand.

Check the temps, if they arent at 100-110 degrees then i woulod get a higher wattage bulb

good luck! :D

p.s nice looking beardie :)

22. jaykemper

jaykemper Member

thanks... its not the greatest picture of him but i dont have a better one right now. I realized he likes the horizantol postion lately as well, he's acually a year and a half old but i only got him a couple months ago spent over a year with no green's, walnut sand, etc. so he is a bit smaller than average i think, but he gets much better care now in terms of his diet and attention. I highly doubt the temps are that high so i will get a better wattage bulb, also it doesnt show in that picture because of flash but the bulb is red, so i gotta change that this weekend as well. So just no heating at all at night? I live in canada so cold winters so it hink i might pick up one of those CHE bulbs.

23. ReptileCrazy

ReptileCrazy Well-Known Member

yeah, if it gets real cold use a ceramic heater.

wow, if he has had that kind of care this whole time its no wonder he is small.

Improving the diet, improving the temps and getting a white bulb will definately help. Does he have a UVB bulb, if not, he needs one of those to.

Make sure you dont change the bulb before you get a thermometer, you can just as easily over heat your dragon as you can make him chilly. Bulbs put off more heat than we expect and it is very dangerous to alter temps without knowing them acurately.

:D good luck with him, hopefully with some good lights, food and supplements he will gain some weight.

check out the care sheets on this website, they are very good. also check out beautifuldragons.com, as it contains EXCELLENT info :)

24. jaykemper

jaykemper Member

The cage is 69 gallons i think... or 79 but i think its 69. What wattage should that be? I already had a problem with the heat lamp shattering the glass, good thing he was out of the cage... but was that ever a troulbe finding all the glass in the sand! Another reason not to have sand.

25. jaykemper

jaykemper Member

yes he has a uvb bulb, and i have a bunch of money... not really since i dont have a job and only get $30 a week, but i consider what i have right now to be a lot... so i will go to petsmart this weekend and have a shopping spree and blow it all, my snowboarding equipment will have to wait, cause he's more important than that.