Is this a good tank setup? (pics)

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by jaykemper, Sep 15, 2005.

1. jaykemper

jaykemper Member

i am almost done the ramp, once i am finished i will post pic's of it. You gotta start somewhere.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. jaykemper

jaykemper Member

Here's the ramp... any problems?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. clarinet45

clarinet45 Well-Known Member

looks pretty good. i can't tell where the UV is, is it right by the heat where he's basking? also, is it just the camera that makes the light look red, or is a red bulb?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. jaykemper

jaykemper Member

no its a red bulb, the petstore gave it to me when i bought the dragon but i bought a white bulb anyways. The white one burnt out yesterday so i gotta go to get a new one tomorrow. The uv light is the white bar ontop of the cage on the right, in the first picture.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. clarinet45

ah, ok. i'm surprised the white bulb burnt out so quick. i always have backups, i suggest getting a two pack or something of 75, 100, whatever you're using.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. jaykemper

jaykemper Member

ok, its 100. How long are they supposed to last?

12. clarinet45

i had one bulb burn out last wee since i had Feng [may] and i have three heat lamps with varying bulbs setup now, they should last pretty long. i would look on the package when you buy. if it naturally burns out before then, you might be eligible for a refund.

13. jaykemper

jaykemper Member

I have actually had Buddy since april, so i guess the lightbulb did live a full life. I am really looking forward to getting rid of the walnut sand, i just hope it hasnt effected him in anyway yet. I just wish i knew how old he was when he started living on it, because he was a year old when i bought him and he was living on it then, and the guy said he had been in the shop since december.

14. clarinet45

well, i would just count yourself lucky, watch him for impactions for weeks after it's removed.

15. jaykemper

jaykemper Member

ok i definetly will, i was hesitant in buying him in the first place because i had done alot of research but unless you talk to people in these forums its really hard to get everything you need to know. I couldnt figure out why he hadnt been bought, and was in the store for 5 months. Usually beardie's around here are gone from the store's in the first week. (and thats the average petstore grey ones, not red like mine)

16. jaykemper

jaykemper Member

Damn, i overlooked something on the ramp and now i gotta redo it. I tryed to find the best smooth piece of wood i could so he wouldnt get any splinters or anything. It just so happens the wood is so smooth he cant climb up it, and when going down, its a slide. I will have to make rivets or something.

17. clarinet45

you can put a peice of shelf liner on it or the like.

18. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

FYI, when buying light bulbs if it's not for UVB just buy bulbs from your local hardware store. No need to waste the money on the reptile products as they are the same thing but the price is jacked up. Again, this is only for bulbs you're wanting to use for heat and not UVB.

With the setup above make sure your beardie can get within 10" of your UVB tube. The closer the better so I'd stick it right next to your basking lamp if I were you.

19. jaykemper

jaykemper Member

oh ok, thanks for the advice, and as for helping him get to the top i came up with a soloution. You know how oranges come in those netted bags? Im going to cut the bag and make it rectangular and staple gun the net tightly around the piece of wood so that he will have the grip he needs. Right now i put the hammock on the log, but its not long enough for him to reach all the way up.

20. Blinga04

Blinga04 Well-Known Member

well to make it easier, you can get really gritty sandpaper, like 60 grit, and use a palm sander and rough the would up a bit.. wouldn't make it splintery, but would rough it up to where he can grip it with his claws :D

21. wideglide

I think either method will work just fine.

22. jaykemper

jaykemper Member

thats another good idea Blinga04, thanks.

23. Mesavotz

Mesavotz New Member

i think your cage looks really nice for the Dragon. I am sure he or she will be very happy in there :p You do not have to stop using the sand my vet said and so did a few other people that own web sites about the Dragon say that Calci sand is not a bad thing for older Dragon's just small babies they say not to use sand with..but your choice . Looks good though.

24. wideglide

Calci sand is horrible and I suggest you STOP promoting here immediately. :evil:

25. bunchOpets

bunchOpets New Member

I love that setup!! But do get rid of the sand besides the most important problem being health issues....it is pain to keep clean..get reptile carpet , you can get it in green or a sand color..other wise its a great set up..