Is this leopard gecko sick?? =(

Discussion in 'Photos & Photography' started by SunnyDayz, Jan 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SunnyDayz

SunnyDayz Embryo

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. BigZ3788

BigZ3788 Well-Known Member

Looks like it could be impacted, what kind of substrate is he on?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. SunnyDayz

SunnyDayz Embryo

Its substrate is vita sand

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. lizard_man_Lane

lizard_man_Lane Well-Known Member

That's your problem right there. You should not use sand on leos at all. Escpecially the calci sanc or vita sand. They lick it and it clogs up their insides. Take the snad out immediatly. Take it to the reptile vet.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. crusty1

crusty1 Member

yup, definatly impacted...take him to a vet IMMEDIATLY...he prolly wont eat, drink or poop because of his impaction...he needs help fast...that purple is looking pretty purple....and he is very thin

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. DaCubs

DaCubs Well-Known Member

Definately get that leo to a vet. Looks like a very serious impaction, very likely from eating that damn vitasand crap.
    How long has it be like this? By this, I mean really skinny and with that spot on it's belly.
    In the mean time, you need to get that vita sand out of there asap. Start giving the leo warm-water baths. Make sure the water is ~90F, and only shoulder deep.

12. smokiez

smokiez New Member

SunnyDayz, if you dont go to vet, your gecko wont see much more SunnyDayz

13. BigZ3788

BigZ3788 Well-Known Member

wow, thats um clever.

14. baller2413

baller2413 New Member

substrate

switch the substrate to crushed walnut shells works like a charm and it's cheaper than sand

John_

15. heisoktoday

heisoktoday Member

RE: substrate

Baller, are you kidding? Crushed walnut shells will rip the heck out of the inside of the leo. He might as well use broken glass as a substrate.

16. SunnyDayz

SunnyDayz Embryo

OK thanx u guyz

17. LeoGeckos-Rule

LeoGeckos-Rule Member

i'm going to add this post to my favourites if thats ok SunnyDayz,
    so when we get all those posts about people who think keeping leos or beardies on sand is ok i can link them to this post and they can see what happens.
    NO particle substrates should be used, try slate or shelf liner or even paper towels,
    slate adds a really nice effect, or even reptile carpet, lots of warm baths, and get him to a vet.

P.S is that definetly a leoapard gecko, if it is then he is really underweight his tail is extremely thin, he should start eating when hes better!

~Steve.

18. Rocky

Rocky Member

Baller...do you see how severly impacted this leo is? How are you gonna tell this person to switch to crushed walnut shells? Like heisoktoday said, you might as well use broken glass. The edges of the shells are sharp and when the leo eats it, it scratches the inside. Dont go giving terrible advice like that. Whatever you keep, get them off of it as well.

19. AngeryTuLip

AngeryTuLip Embryo

MY geck is looking like this and his eyes are closed shut. I was told its best to rub Aloe Vera on his eyes to help him. Now u guys said to ditch the sand. is there any other tips to help my geck out?

20. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

Definately ditch the sand, its a real impaction issue for geckos. This thread is over 4 years old, so i'm going to close it, however do feel free to post in the leopard geckos forum as experienced keepers will more likely to be over there than here :p You can find the forum by following this link: http://www.reptilerooms.com/forums/index.php?showforum=5

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.