Is this tank good for a baby ball python

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by Tim90, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Tim90

Tim90 New Member

Hello again it's me the one with all the qestions and worries. I am planing on getting a baby Ball Python. This is my cage. plese post what you think. it is a 30" by 12" by 17" Aquarium. It has an undertank heater and I am using Cypress mulch for beding. was using aquarium gravel but then I was recomended not to. Any clue why? Anyways I have @ hid contaers one a hollow half log with a climing branch atached the other a flower pot with the hole wided and smoothed. I also have a water dish(good sized). I am using a digital thermomater with humidity witch I got at wall mart. Thank you Wall mart! Post if you have comments or questions or if you have a BP for sale. Thanks!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

OK, so I'im assuming that the measurements are 30" long, 12" deep, and 17" tall. That's sounds big enough for a baby ball but I would warn you that you will need a larger tank when he gets biggers. The undertank heater is good, stay away from heat rocks. you can also use heat lamps if the UTH doesn't give you enough heat for a cage that size. I've used smooth gravel before for snakes without any problems but aspen is really popular because it helps humidity and is easy to clean and looks better than newspaper. But make sure you feed your snake in another enclosure, bucket, whatever. You don't want him ingesting aspen chips or learning that your hand coming into the cage means food. This will get you both into a lot of trouble. We keep one bucket for each snake so they have a place to eat and they respond better to feeding because they know they'll be getting fed when they go into the bucket. Your hides sound good, as long as they are big enough. Balls like to curl up and hide. You want the water dish to be big enough for the snake to fit in if they want to soak to help shed. There's some confusion about Balls and what temp and humidity they need. If you look at their natural history, the areas they come from have temps in the mid eighties and humidity around 45%. But I would increase the humidty during shedding to make sure it comes off easily. Good call on the dig thermometer, same one we have and they're pretty reliable. Good luck!