is this true?

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by Shanna66, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

warning to all the men on this forum, this question has to do with that once a month thing we women have to deal with. you have been warned.

i was talking to someone at petco the other day and they said that snakes get more aggressive around women when they are on their periods. none of my snakes have ever acted differently when im on mine but then again i usually dont mess with them becasue im usually in a bad mood and go through the normal bits of pms.

well my question is is there any truth to this at all? i know its a weird question to ask on a forum thats mostly men but im curious and would like to know

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi,
    Not a weird question at all really because it does happen.
    Not only with snakes, lizards are usually affected even more, especially the bigger iguana's, monitors etc. It has been know for large lizards to aggressively seek out women at this time and great care should be taken to protect yourself against their advances. I know of at least one lady owner of iguana's who had to have her male snipped as it became very dangerous for her that this time, these was an exception rather than the rule but it did happen. It is usually more obvious during the breeding season as well, Basically it's "turns them on".
    Hygiene plays an even bigger part at this time and extra care taken.

It's not just women that can be affected either, men do go through a similar time but usually it's not noticed.

Pheromones, these play a huge part in the sexual attraction game, these affect both men and women.
    Men may find their snakes/lizards become a bit anti-social with them, these is due to the pheromones giving off their scent etc and other animals see this a rival to their desires.

It's all part of the natural cycle of things, as long as people are aware of it and take extra care there is no real need to take dramatic action against it.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Shanna66

wow, thank you very much for answering that. i guess if i ever get a larger reptile i should be extra careful then.
    is it just male reptiles that get antsy around this time or would females react to it too?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. LittleMick

LittleMick Member

yeah I watched something on TV to do with that, can't remember the show or what it was about, but this chap had a lizard on it and I think this woman had to do a dare or something and the lizard got abit aggressive, and when the chap explained why the woman got embarressed as it was on National TV, lol. And it's not just herps either, apparently in Canada women have to be careful of bears, they actively seek out and HUNT women when at their times of the month.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Shanna66

bears?! oh my god!
    i wonder what other animals are affected by this

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. jeffg46

jeffg46 New Member

Funny, human men run the other way when women are at that time of the month. Another thing on my list of differences between people and bears.

12. jayhawkbruce

jayhawkbruce Member

This all seems like garbage to me. They may be able to sense the hormones, which I doubt they pick up as sexual hormones, but they surely don't get turned on. Even spiders of different species in the same genus have hormones that are distinct to that species, and one of the main reasons for this is interspecies identification; it's how to tell if something is the same as you or not. Can any of you saying that this is true post a link to a study on this with their findings? I'd love to see actual data vs. simply heresay.

13. Shanna66

i feel so lucky my fiance was raised around his older sister and mother so he is used to going to get tampons at ungodly hours :)

14. LittleMick

LittleMick Member

Lol, just a tad too much info there thanks Shan.

No it's nothing to do with sexual drive or activity, it's for hunting as in eating. And it's only a theory, just like alot of things I guess. But here's a link,

Yellowstone Park

As for the lizards, I think it's more the meat eating lizards like Monitors, but again this is all just specualtion, it may be just individual creatures cravings. But women should be cautious all the same.