italian silk back dragons?

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by pyronian, Jun 5, 2007.

1. pyronian

pyronian Embryo

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. shotcaller88

shotcaller88 Embryo

wow that looks weird :shock:

it doesn't appear to have scales. it kinda looks like a burn victim.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. beezneez

beezneez Member

WOW those are odd. The red silkbacks kind of remind me of an old person but they still look really cool. Its weird seeing a dragon without spikes.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. pyronian

pyronian Embryo

at first i thought it was just some type of uromastyx.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Saucy

Saucy Well-Known Member

Definitely some sort of weird skin deformity... I wonder if they have problems with burning or anything...

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Katibug06

Katibug06 Member

They do burn easier. You can read more about it on the website. I think those silkbacks are a bad idea. I would not be interested in one.

12. Tux

Tux Well-Known Member

anything from dachiu is a bad idea.

13. pyronian

pyronian Embryo

for some odd reason i thought dachiu had a good rep, is it a bad idea to buy from them?

14. shotcaller88

shotcaller88 Embryo

Lately they've got a bad rep because they aren't testing for adenovirus. The majority of breeders have taken the same route. I don't get why everyone is so hard on dachiu.

15. trapieter

trapieter Member

lets not go there, I just think some people have there reasons for being hard on her. But every one has a choice to make and it should be theres.

Yeah I'm not too sure on this beardie either, it is basically a genetic defect by the sounds of it and with the other precaustions you will have to take to prevent burns and injuries etc... you don't know how this will affect the bds health in general, its lifespan, its imune system... It could be fine but find out everything before hand. and that includes finding out about the breeder, you should do that anyway.

it does have a certain wierd charm though... you think it can still beard up? that would be freaky lol.

16. hubert_cumberdale

hubert_cumberdale Member

jeezus thats so weird looking, it does look like a burns victim in a way lol, but pretty cool all the same. Ive never heard of them before!

17. pauliox1

pauliox1 New Member

This was on a UK reptile forum. I had a good old shout on there so I needn't bother on here. But I hate this. It really really annoys me. Really? What IS the point. Is the point to deform an animal for our own pleasures? If it is, then screw them.

Paul

18. trapieter

trapieter Member

hey paul,
    from what I can tell from what they wrote, it is a natural genetic defect that occurs occasionally and they have decided to breed two together. I agree it's a bad idea and not really fair, who knows what else that bd will go through health wise in it's life due to this mix. human nature... we always think we can improve on mother nature.

19. pauliox1

pauliox1 New Member

I wasn't sure wether this happened in nature or not. But either way i don't agree with it. And im glad im not the only one :(

Paul

20. Tux

Tux Well-Known Member

Re: RE: italian silk back dragons?

I have several reasons that don't involve adeno, I'm going there because ppl seem to think they have a good rep, if nobody speaks up then their will be no information for others to make an educated decision on. I won't go all out in this post, only share a thing or 2.

They try to tell others that dragons don't need UVB lighting as long as their taking cal with D3. This is pure misinformation and bad enough for me to warn against them.

As far as the adeno thing goes, it's not as simple as them not testing, I won't go into it because I hate the topic and spend enough time researching it but lets just say some ppl will do anything to put food on the table.

21. shotcaller88

shotcaller88 Embryo

RE: Re: RE: italian silk back dragons?

It sure doesn't sound like a healthy mutation & I do agree it shouldn't be promoted.

"The skin of the "Silkback" dragon is similar to that of a pinkie mouse ((or your eye lid)) in texture and fragility. Close care must be given to prevent injury and encourage a healthy shedding process."

22. trapieter

trapieter Member

I agree tux, I have read that too about the lighting... like I said people have there reasons but everyone should go through the site and read for themselves and get background so it doesn't get given as slander.. you know the argument I mean lol so long! don't just take heresay find out for yourself :( do some reading.

23. Al1time

Al1time Embryo

There probably going to be extremely expensive

$$$

24. Tux

Tux Well-Known Member

I do agree about that trapieter, I'm just saying being someone that has done their research it is clear to me their methods are flawed atleast IMO. For example keeping babies on sand ugh

25. Katt

Katt Moderator

I am going to share my veiws on it.
    Daichu imo isnt the greatest place to get your dragons. Even about the whole not testing for andeno, thats pretty bad now considering most every big breeder like that has andeno. I honestly dont know if they have it or not, but chances are they have it and know it, but theres not much you can do. Their care is wrong often times and they promote the spread of this bad information. Although I've seen some gorgeous dragons from them, and some very healthy ones to.

On this silkback and leatherback thing. With as many rescues and dragons I've seen. I have experinced ones that seemed to have less scales or generally softer scales. But this silkback to me at least sounds like a mutation that can be caused by inbreeding. It certainly will result in inbreeding considering there arent several seperate completly clean lines of them. Those pictured on the site are most likely going to be bred to its clutchmates. Popular morphs and varieteis of most anything now have some sort of inbreeding in them to get that morph. But such direct inbreeding like that is going to result in sick dying mutated babies. We shall see how this new form of dragon goes. I dont mean to badmouth Daichu. I've seen awsome animals come out of them, and the people are ok as well. But generally I dont like them too much.