JCP, please help

Discussion in 'Other Pythons' started by trentiusmaximus, Sep 29, 2007.

?

Minimum cage size for a full grown jungle carpet python?

1. 30 gallon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. *

40 gallon

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. *

50 gallon

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. *

60+ gallons

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. trentiusmaximus

trentiusmaximus Embryo

i want a jcp and i have a few question about them before i decide to actually get one. How big do they get? up to what size could i keep one in a 40 gallon tank? How old do they get? would they stay on feeder rats their whole live or would i eventually have to buy small pigs and whatnot?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 ReptileBoards Addict

It's not at all unusual for them to hit 7' (or bigger even, female) but they are a slender snake, not bulky like a RTB. The minimum space I would recommend is 4' x 2' x 18". They do like to perch and be off the ground so you need some height. Of course, bigger is better! Rats should be fine, I can't imagine you needing to run out and get pigs :lol:
    Here are two good care sheets for Carpets:
    http://www.australianaddiction.com/junglecare.html
    http://www.acreptiles.com/carpet_python_care.htm
    They are great snakes, welcome to the forums!!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Bunny_Too

Bunny_Too New Member

I keep mine in a 55g which is a bit narrower than I would like but the length and height are good. As stated above they are not wide but also the arboreal nature makes up for some of the tank size as they use more of the tank. Mine spends about 90% of the time coiled up on a branch making it appear much smaller than it actually is. Most of the care sheets recommend a 40g breeder as a minimum. Of course bigger is better. If I had the money a 75g would seem perfect.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. bodom85

bodom85 Member

Both of my big ones are in 40 gal. tanks. I Have read on a few different accounts that this is the min. for a full grown JCP.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Bunny_Too

Bunny_Too New Member

Also if both of your JCP's are male and at 5' + they are probably pretty close to the size they will get so you are looking at what they need now rather than what they would need later if you expected more growth.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. gecko94

gecko94 New Member

I feed rats to my JCP and shes in a 300 gallon with my burms. I have 3 levels and she climbs all the time. A 300 is huge so don't think you need one. I always think the bigger the better, so i'd go with 50 as an absolute minimum.

12. mattdlite

mattdlite New Member

^^2 different species of snakes is really bad, u have 2 take either that carpet out or those burms out or 1 day u will have the aftermath of the phsycho shower scene all over the cage

13. gecko94

gecko94 New Member

Sorry but they havn't fought for 3 years, I feed them seperately and they leave each other alone. I did not know it was bad until about 2 years into it. If i problem happens, i will take them out without a second thought, but they are fine. So if it continues at the rate it is going now, i won't be taking her out. :p

14. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 ReptileBoards Addict

In another thread you said:
    In a few other threads you say that you keep her with your 2 burms, one of which is apparently 9'. Now, how have you been doing it this way for three years if she is only an '06...a year old?

15. mattdlite

mattdlite New Member

jus get the snakes out sir i wouldn take the risk

16. gecko94

gecko94 New Member

different snakes, my first carpet died