Just call me snake lady, LOL!

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by Janice, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

We have a Ball Python, and a Corn Snake. I am thinking about getting another snake. I don't want anything that gets too big (no longer than a BP). I would like something handleable, and fairly docile. I know their is no guarantees, it depends on the individual snake, the temperament. What is everyones opinions? And nothing that is going to cost me an arm and a leg, either.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. wreckwriter

wreckwriter Member

How about a rat snake of a different flavor (yellow or black) or a nice king snake (tons of types to choose from)?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Janice

King snakes don't get big?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. wreckwriter

wreckwriter Member

Mostly no. My son's Mexican black is over 3 years old, he's a bit over 3 feet. A few kings might commonly reach over 4 foot, speckled king, Florida, maybe a few others but most are pretty small (without being so small as to be delicate).

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Janice

I was told california king snakes get really big, is that true? I have done a bit of snooping around and was curious about the rosy boas. I have read that they are small and docile, is this true?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. wreckwriter

wreckwriter Member

Quote from Oakland zoo site regarding Cal kings ( http://www.oaklandzoo.org/atoz/azkgsnke.html )-I. DESCRIPTION:
    Skin has various patterns (bands, stripes, speckles) and colors (black and white, brown and yellow, etc). Adults are usually 3 feet long, rarely as long as 4 feet.

Regarding rosys, yes, that is true. I've heard some don't eat well but I've never had one so don't really know. Perhaps someone here has one and can give more first-hand info?

12. Janice

I swear the lady at the pet store is retarded. She has a Cal. king herself. She says they get huge.

13. wreckwriter

wreckwriter Member

Maybe her idea of "huge" is different from most? To my knowledge they're one of the smaller kings (of the non-scarlet kings anyway). They come in all sort of patterns, very pretty snakes, and they're easy to come by too (therefor affordable). I would think they would be a good thing for you to consider.

14. Janice

I am leaning more toward a rosy boa. They look 'pretty' for a snake. Yes, I am a girl, LOL!

15. wreckwriter

wreckwriter Member

16. gadd19

gadd19 Member

what about childrens pythons? im actually concidering one of these guys....theyre conciderd a fairly good starter snake, like a ball python, but generally are better eaters...!
    before you buy your rosy, check em out! :)

17. wreckwriter

wreckwriter Member

I agree with gadd, they're nice snakes, you should check them out before deciding.

18. stevetims

stevetims New Member

I have a 5 year old Cali king and he is about 4.5 feet long, my local petshop has one that is about 2 and almost 4 feet long

Steve

19. Janice

gadd19, &wreckwriter, I was thinking of a children's python a couple of months ago.....& Gadd19, where would I get one here in Ontario?

20. gadd19

gadd19 Member

you go to superpet alot right janice? well, i was in there the other day and talked to randy about em, and he said that theve gotten them in before, and could order them in anytime....dont know about costs tho....by the way, have you seen that cooks tree boa in there lately? that lil' guy is gorgious! wanted to handle him but he scared the worker.lol

21. Janice

Well you and I should go in together, and maybe we'll get a better deal on 2!!! I haven't seen the tree boa. Will have to go and check him out!!

22. Janice

gadd19, I went into SuperPet last night and saw the Cooks Tree boa!!! What a sweet snake! Randy said it's 'crazy nippy'.

23. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Member

I like hognoses, my husband was quite taken with them and almost agreed to me having them. Then he found out their rear fanged and do possess a weak kind of venom. Apparently I have to do alot more research for him. :)

24. Janice

No thanks!