Just got my 1st Dragon :) help

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by DarkNation, Jul 18, 2007.

1. ChristyBug

ChristyBug Member

RE: Re: RE: Hello

Actually DarkNation - what I was recommending was to actually take your beardies out of the tank when you feed them and feed them in another container, separately of course, that way you can better monitor how much/ little they are eating because they will be separated.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. DarkNation

DarkNation New Member

ok well i have serperated them in another tank to eat the crickets but they only ate id say 5-10 each today and they have been eatting about 20 each a day regualr, im going to feed them again in 1hr cuz it will be 2hrs b4 the light turns off. And i want a 16x16tile cuz my tank is 17"x17" and i thought it would be easier to clean then having 9 (6x6) tiles and cutting the edges half a inch.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. ChristyBug

ChristyBug Member

i had to cut a whole bunch of my tiles to get them to fit. Honestly cutting them is really simple. I bought a 20 dollar cutter from the home depot and cut them perfectly myself. It's much safer than having any sand in the tank.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. kinyonga

kinyonga Member

Tracie said.."If you tell a beginner not to supplement"...never once did I (or would I) ever suggest not to supplement at all....however I don't believe in telling anyone to give the supplements more often than they should be given. If they do listen to you and do give their dragon(s) what you have told them to in the way of UVB lighting etc. you could be leading them to overdose the dragon on the D3 and preformed vitamin A which, if in balance may not lead to MBD but might lead to renal problems and other problems instead. Kidney damage can not usually be reversed...but, if caught soon enough MBD can be stopped and the dragon can lead a reasonably normal life.

Just my two cents worth....

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Drache613

Drache613 Well-Known Member

Hello

Hello,

While I know all about kidney disease, etc, I still disagree that only supplementing D3 2 times per month is enough. With today's lights, & most people simply do not change their UVB's often enough I do feel that more is needed. So with weak UVB's & no sunlight exposure, they have to get it from somewhere. No, it doesn't take much, a light dusting is all that is needed.
    If they use the repcal herptivite which does not vitamin A in it at all, then, there will be no problems with vitamin A as it uses beta carotene.
    Most people do not take their dragons outside. In fact, in most of the forums I am in, so many of the problems with kidney disease are not oversupplementation of calcium, but dehydration or too much protein. Usually they will have low blood calcium. It takes quite a bit of calcium to overdo the calcium unless you just literally dump it into their systems. That normally doesn't happen with just dustings, if given once a day 3-5 days a week.
    Kidney disease is a collaboration of several factors, with dehydration & excessive protein being the leading factors. I know oversupplementation plays a role, but not as much as the other factors do.

Tracie