Just Need Some Basic Advice

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by Karlee, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Karlee

Karlee Member

I got a new baby CWD today and I was just wondering for general advice on their care. I named him Jimmety Cricket and I just have a few questions. How much should I feed him? How long will it take for him to turn green? How often should I feed him? How do I stop him from snout rubbing? If you could answer at least one of these questions it will help me a lot.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Karlee

Karlee Member

Oh and 1 more question about Jimmety Cricket, i noticed him leaning over his water bowl earlier for a drink but he seemed to be afraid of the water. I heard they are very good swimmers so this is kinda peculiar. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong with his water?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

How much should I feed him?

There isn't really a definite number of prey items to feed a Chinese Water Dragon. One good rule of thumb to follow is to feed as many appropriately sized feeders as they will eat in a 10-15 minute period, and repeat this 2 times a day. For growing juveniles, you can feed a bit more--as many as they will eat before stopping or noticeably slowing down, and 2-3 meals a day.

How long will it take for him to turn green?

Their color depends on a lot of things (mood, health, environment), and not every water dragon turns bright green. Some stay a dull brown their entire life, depite perfect health and care. So...there's not really an answer to this question. He may turn green tomorrow. He may never turn green.

How often should I feed him?

At his current age/size, about 2-3 times a day.

How do I stop him from snout rubbing?

Don't house him in a fully glass tank. Cover the back, both sides, and at least the bottom 10-12 inches of the front with a background if you currently have him in a glass tank. When you build the adult enclosure, (which should be a minimum of about 6 feet long, 3 feet deep, and 6 feet tall) obviously it is best to not build it with glass on all sides.

Water issue...

I've noticed a lot of juveniles are a little clumsy and panicky with deeper water at first, but they get used to it very quickly.