Just upgraded to a 75 gallon tank..

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by monstergt88, Jun 12, 2013.

1. monstergt88

monstergt88 Embryo

Whats going on beardie owners!? First time poster here. My beardie is around a year and 8 months old. From head to tail she is around 1'-6" long. I just upgraded from a 40 gallon breeder to a 75 gallon tank. I have one basking lamp that is a 100 watt zoo med bulb. Should I just keep the one lamp or should I go and get another to have two? Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Welcome to the forums = )

One bulb is just fine so long as temperature and UVB requirements are met. There is only one kind of bulb that can act as both a heat source for basking and a source for ultraviolet light, and these are specialty reptile mercury vapor bulbs. The Zoomed Powersun is an example of one of these... if this is the bulb you have, you should be fine.

Temperature on the basking spot should be ~105 give or take. With you dragon being an adult, anything in the 100-105 degree F range is ideal. Be sure to only measure temperatures with a digital thermometer and probe or tempgun for accuracy as some thermometers in sold in pet stores are highly inaccurate.

With all of the above being said - bearded dragons are sun-loving, basking reptiles. Providing extra light in the enclosure is perfectly fine so long as temperatures check out. I personally use run a 100w Zoomed Powersun MVB for heat and UV requirements, and have a household fluorescent tube light running the length of the cage for extra light across the vivarium. Makes the display very nice, and beardies appreciate the a well-lit environment during the day and a dark night.