Kaya, Our Black Lab Puppy

Discussion in 'Rainbow Bridge' started by Janice, Jun 19, 2005.

1. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

She was only 6 months old, and she got hit by a truck today. We are all very sad, :cry:

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. LeoMaster3012

LeoMaster3012 Member

sorry about Kaya. i feel your pain

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. liza714

liza714 Member

Losing a pet is like losing a child. It really sucks. I hope Kaya didnt suffer.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Spot

Spot ReptileBoards Addict

Ooooh, I'm SO SORRY. I can't even find the words to console you.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

It sucks, there are no other words to describe it. It was pretty quick, thankfully. Our eldest son cried all night. Just sucks.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. D00M

D00M Well-Known Member

Im sorry Janice :D :cry: :) What a horrible way to end. :(

12. kimberlyanne999

kimberlyanne999 Member

thats just terrible! i am so sorry janice!

13. alison1

alison1 Member

l am sorry too! my dog got ran over 4 weeks ago! lt's very sad! This has started me off again! l've been alright for a week! My son has asked for a new dog and we are going to have one in august for his 5th birthday! But ingo will be sadly missed and l know you feel the same! l am so sorry for your loss! l hope you and your family feel better soon! x

14. kephy

kephy Moderator

That's just terrible, I am so sorry. There are really no words. Dogs are family, plain and simple.

When I was young, one of my dogs got hit by a car and killed. I, like your son, cried all day and night. It was miserable. The family needs some time to heal. But when you're all ready, I think the best thing to do is adopt another dog. Nothing heals the pain like bringing a new bright life into your home.

15. alison1

alison1 Member

l think l cried more than morgan! l couldn't stop! And it happened right outside our house so everytime you look out of the window it's just horrible! lngo was from a dogs home so l've done my bit for the homeless and this time l am having a puppy from a breeder, he had so many bad habits that l wanted to start from scratch so there are no habits from other homes, he was 4years when we got him and he bit about 5 people (nipped l mean including one child but he had been told to leave him alone while he ate) we had a terrible first year with him but he shone through when morgan came (my first child) and completely changed! He was a lovely dog and l miss him terribly! He never did bite again after the first year! Sorry for taking over a thread again! l do tend to get carried away!

16. kephy

kephy Moderator

You could always adopts a puppy from the SPCA, or get a dog from a rescue organization where they already know it's temperments. I'll be honest with you I got a dog from a breeder once, paid $500, and she had every genetic problem known to her breed. Died by the time she was 6 years old. It was a terrible experience. Getting a dog from a breeder doesn't guarantee anything but you spending more money. And those puppies will get homes anyways, no matter what. Shelter puppies NEED you! There are too many homeless dogs out there to be supporting breeders, in my opinion. Unless you want a show dog, I really see no reason to go to a breeder. There are more than enough puppies to go around as it is. I got a shelter puppy and she is bar none THE best dog I have ever owned in my life. The troubles you had with your dog really had nothing to do with whether it was homeless or not, it was how it was raised. If you get a shelter puppy or adopt from a rescue that knows their dogs, you shouldn't have those problems.

Sorry to go on my rant. In case you can't tell I'm a HUGE supporter of adopting dogs that need homes. There are just far too many of them. :)

17. kimberlyanne999

kimberlyanne999 Member

I agree with everything kephy said!!!!!! my vet even said non-purebreed dogs are healthier.

I saved my dog from the pound the DAY he was supposed to be put to sleep & it was the best choice ive ever made.
    he is a mutt but rescues are the way to go!

[​IMG]

18. kephy

kephy Moderator

Aw! He's adorable! What a sweet face.

Here's my mutt rescue.

[​IMG]

Again, best dog I've ever had the pleasure to be owned by. :)

Janice I hope you don't mind the hijacking of your thread. We'll stop now if you want us too. But I hope maybe, just maybe, some pics of cute dogs can put a little smile on your face. Even for just a moment. :)

19. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about that.... I have to agree with everyone else.... pound puppies are the best!

20. alison1

alison1 Member

No! Sorry l wasn't saying that his problems were from the dogs home (they were actually from the last owner an old lady and he had a show dog owner before that! he was a lovely dog after we got round that first year but when we went looking for a dog when we got ingo l wanted a husky but we couldn't find one! l am the first person to say that l would get my dog from a rescue centre but there was a particular dog my son wanted and this puppy has turned up and is due 3 days before his birthday, the exact colour, the right size and to top it off the sex we wanted! Fate! l agree with everythink you say kephy and would do it again if morgan hadn't got his heart set on having "a dog just like ingo!" How do you know all dogs from breeders go to good homes? Besides there is only one centre within 3 hours of us and they tend to have more small animals and cats than anything andl did look there first! lngo was a show dog, one his first show and they got rid of him? The second owner was an old lady who ended up living with her daughter and when the lady died the family didn't want him! And that's when we found him! How is your son janice?

21. kephy

kephy Moderator

Well I guess I should clarify. I'm sure there are plenty of backyard breeders who's dogs end up in shelters. I'm talking more about professional breeders. These breeders always find homes for their puppies, (maybe not always "good" homes, but homes nevertheless.) I can't imagine any professional breeder not being able to find homes and sending their dogs off to a shelter where they may be put to sleep. It just doesn't happen. This is what they do for a living, and if they can't find homes for their dogs then they wouldn't make a career out of it.

22. kimberlyanne999

kimberlyanne999 Member

what does happen though is people buy pricey puppys from breeders & the dog piddles in the house or the puppy grows to large, its too hyper, sheds to much or they are moving and "cant take the dog" a lot of purebreed dogs end up in the shelters this way. it kills me how people think that pets are disposable. a worker at our local pound said a very wealthy lady brought in a 10yr old pure bred pomeranian (sp?) and said she couldnt keep it because didnt match her new furniture. UUGGGGHHHHH. i hate people.

23. kephy

kephy Moderator

Too true. Another reason everyone should go to sheltersand rescues! There's always the occasion purebreed if you need one! :D

But for alison, I completely understand the timing and fate of your situation. It really couldn't have worked out better for you. At least there is one lucky dog out there who's about to get a good home. :)

Sounds like something my step-mother would do. :evil:

24. alison1

alison1 Member

kimberlyanne999-thats exactly what l mean when l say "how do you know?" Thank you for making more sense of it for me! :D Some people are unbelievable aren't they how on earth could you just dump a dog because it doesn't suit your lifestyle (or furniture as the csae may seem!) Why, l ask, do they have pets in the first place?! Sorry l didn't make sense in the first place kephy l'm having terrible trouble lately putting things into words! Must be the age, no l'm only 25, must be the 3 kids! lol!

25. kephy

kephy Moderator

No problem. :D I agree they don't always go to good homes. It's inevitable some are going to end up in bad places. But at least in the immediate future they aren't in danger of being put down, like shelter dogs. I guess that was my real point.