keeping temps DOWN (and other questions)

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by kephy, Jun 15, 2006.

1. kephy

kephy Moderator

Kreport, it's called the Gecko Ledge, and it's the deluxe model that has the magnets (rather than dual sided tape which I don't like.) http://www.pangeareptile.com/products.htm

Now for my next series of questions.... I want this gecko to have a well rounded diet. I hear the CGD can be used all by itself but I personally think variety is better. I figured I'd randomly cycle between CGD, babyfood, and pureed fruit, along with the crickets. Unless you all think I should offer one type of food more or less than the others. Maybe use CGD most of the time and save the fruit and babyfood for treats once or twice a week? Which CGD would you recommend? T-Rex is the most easily available to me, but I could get something like Clark's if that's better. Does it matter?

Also, how many crickets should I offer per day at this age? What would be the best supplementing schedule for a 4 month old? Do I supplement everything (with the exception of the CGD), or just the crickets?

Thanks again for all the help. :D I'll show you all a picture of the gecko I'm getting once the breeder confirms that he recieved my payment and the gecko is mine.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. field_hockey_gal

field_hockey_gal Well-Known Member

The glass jar is fine. You can also try a feeding container, but I think the glass jar would work fine.

CGD is a complete meal replacement. All the supplements, potiens everything the gecko needs for a healthy diet. Clarks is not a meal replacement but can be used along with crickets as a diet. Babyfood and fruit puree is also good. However, one thing I have noticed is all my geckos were brought up on babyfood, and 9/10 of my geckos will not touch the crested gecko diet. Babyfood is sweeter and if they are not used to it then they will go for the sweetness. If you can get them going on CGD, supplement the babyfood, and you are away. I use only babyfood and fruit anlong with crickets.
    At four months, offer them as many crickets they can eat in one sitting. It will depend on the gecko, I feed our young ones 10-15 one day per week. (and they will eat them all over the night, they are pigglets) If you want you can feed 2-3 crickets everyother/third night, and babyfood inbetween. They will not over eat and will leave what they don't want.

I supplement the babyfood every 2-3 feedings with alittle Ca and multivits, and dust the crickets all the time. Keep in mind, they won't eat every night. Depending, they will eat 5-2 times a week. Once again depending on the gecko.
    If you talk to the breeder, he may have an idea what the little guy has been eating and how much.

Can't wait to see pictures :D

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. kephy

kephy Moderator

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Zia

Zia Member

That's an amazing looking crestie!

I'll relay what a VERRRRRY successful breeder told me to do with mine, and it's working great. A little food dish with a 3:1 ratio of Gerber stage 3 Apricot with mixed fruit baby food mixed with stage 3 squash baby food. Then overnight you put in however many crickets you think your guy can eat. Mine i put in about 6 per night..and they're usually all gone by the next night. Those crickets you should coat with minerall every night. This breeder has some GIGANTIC cresties..and they're all very healthy. Mine's grown quite a bit since i started doing this the past sunday. He went from 3-5 grams just in those few days as opposed to 2-3 grams in a week with a CGD/babyfood and non-coated cricket diet.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Zia

Zia Member

I realized i was looking at the mother of the gecko lol

The one you bought looks VERY similar to mine. nice find :)

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Krepoort

Krepoort Member

The Gecko Ledge seems pretty neat. Thanks for the link.

That gecko looks awesome! I love the coloring. Great choice!

12. kephy

kephy Moderator

Do you all think Minerall is better or just as good as RepCal Ca and Herptivite? If I do use Rep-Cal, do I want to use the one with D3 or without?

I think I might just go without the CGD, it sounds like everyone is having just as much if not better success without it. But don't they need the spirulina and bee pollen and that kind of stuff? How would they get that without the CGD? I sent an email to the breeder to see what the little fellow has been eating so far.

13. Zia

Zia Member

Oh..you'll need CGD. You feed it to the crickets lol. The breeder i know said "that's all the ****'s good for"
    No matter what food combo you go with it will work. Just from what i can tell the one i'm using has had the best results so far.

14. froggeegurl

froggeegurl New Member

I haven't had a crestie for very long but from what I read it's fine to give them crickets and babyfood as long as you supplement with vitamins and calcium. I think it all depends on what you personally want to do and what your crestie will take. Last night I offered my crestie crickets, babyfood, and CGD and he went straight for the CGD and licked the spoon I had it on clean. I am still going to offer him crickets every once in a while because, like you, I prefer to give my animals a variety of food options. So I would say just go with whichever makes you feel comfortable. Also, I don't think the bee pollen and spirulina are critical, but I think you can order bee pollen from http://www.cricketfood.com if you feel it is necessary.

Froggeegurl

15. field_hockey_gal

Not sure about vitamin brands. I use both Ca with and without D3, just switch it up. CGD is good. I have heard of no problem geckos have had with it, and it is much easier to feed with not having to add supplements. Zia, some people don't like it while others do. Never heard feeding it to the crickets, but Im sure it is healthier if you feed it directly yo the gecko and give a good gutload for the crickets.
    You are right in that they don't need spirulina and bee pollen and that kind of stuff. I have bee pollen and mix it with water till its goo, and then mix it in to the babyfood. Im sure you can also get it at health food stores.

Oh and Kephy, your gecko is adorable!! :)

16. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

I still can't get over the fact you got a crestie kephy! I'm so happy! It's ADORABLE!

I couldn't tell you which is better between Rep Cal and Minerall becasue all ive used is Rep Cal. Does Minerall have a multivitamin supplement? All I'm seeing is calcium.

I do like how herptivite uses carotene instead of retinol for vitamin A though.

And also, http://cricketfood.com does sell bee pollen, but its large granuals that would need to be made into basically a dust (with a pistil and mortar or something). Although a little pricey, I use "Da Good Stuff" to supplement my fruit. It has bee polleen, spirulina, acidophilus, immune system booster, and other goodies in it. A tiny little pinch is all you need to add to the feeding.
    http://www.cricketfood.com/product_info.ph...products_id/203

17. kephy

kephy Moderator

I think I'll just use the RepCal since I already have every supplement they make. :)

I finished my shopping and preperations today. Got the CGD, and finished decorating the cage. The Eco-Earth brought the temps down and the humidity up quite nicely. In the back, lower left corner is a log hide set on it's side, and in the front left is the glass jar I'm gonna try to use as a cricket feeder. Does it look ok? Any suggestions?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Fable

Fable New Member

Very nice Kephy i see you got the bendy vines from exo terra. I think that it looks extremly good. I can't wait to see a crestie in it. How long until you get him/her.

19. kephy

kephy Moderator

The gecko will be shipped next week, I'll get it Tuesday or Wednesday, not sure which just yet. :)

20. field_hockey_gal

The tank looks amazing!
    Are there any hiding areas on the ground?

21. kephy

kephy Moderator

Well, the log hide, but it's sitting up on it's side in the corner. Wasn't sure if a vertical or horizontal hide would be better. Do you think I should set it down flat on the ground instead?

22. Zia

Zia Member

You will have much better luck using paper towels and foam as a substrate if you're trying to feed crickets. I've noticed the cresties much prefer to be jumping around their cages chasing the crickets. However yours might work just fine...The setup looks VERY nice at any rate. Congratz :(

23. kephy

kephy Moderator

We'll see how this works, it's kind of an experiment. I'm skeptical about letting crickets free roam in this tank, I've heard they can get behind the foam and hide, sometimes escape, etc. But I'm not closed-minded to changing it later if I need to.

24. field_hockey_gal

The hide can be verticle or horizontal, just some like sitting on top of logs at night.
    As for substrate I have had no problems with adult (or 6+ months) with crickets and dirt. Under 6 months their hunting skills are not that great and is a greater risk of impaction. The dish should work fine for feeding crix, being glass, it will be able to see the crixs.