L.A.'s NOT the pL.A.ce!!

Discussion in 'Reptile Law & Legislation' started by reako45, Jul 15, 2004.

1. reako45

reako45 Member

I was in this tropical fish/herp shop out here in Canoga Park (L.A. sub-city) and there was this notice posted stating that to keep any one of several large species of herps (iguanas, tegus, monitors and several snakes all of the python/boa varieties) in L.A. County you would not only need a permit, but also have to pay every year. If I heard the guy in the shop right the yearly fee is $94!!! What kind of CRAP is that!?! Who comes up w/ these laws. When it comes to keeping certain species of herps, L.A.'s definitely not the place !

reako45

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Dylacat

Dylacat Member

They post these types of laws to deter unknowledgeable people from purchasing them. The size (most grow to be over 5 feet in length), attitude (usually not the friendliest), and appetite (eat you out of house and home) usually gets the best of most people who had thought that they'd be able to take care of them. When a lot of people buy these herps, they think that they (the reptiles) are cool, and hence, they (the owner) will be cool as well for owning one. Most times, these beautiful large herps end up dieing at an early age, or end up for adoption. I know in the last week, I have seen 3 different sav's in the paper for free. Most don't know what they're getting into, when they purchase these lizards. So, I guess that what I am saying, is that I actually agree with this law, and I wish that I'd see more places enforcing the same types of laws.

But that's just my opinion.

Rebecca

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Sirch

Sirch Member

but it wont affect me :)
    i only have a bd and soon a leo

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

I totally agree with the idea and it's implementation, but in some cases I think the fees are too high. A one time fee of $100 and then a yearly renewal fee of say $20 or something like that is much more reasonable than some of the laws that require $100 fees every year for every animal you own. I'm not sure I agree with the surprise inspections some areas have, I think scheduled, random inspections could be just as effective in most cases.