Laka's Growth Progress Thread [Picture Heavy]

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by Albeena, Oct 14, 2007.

1. Albeena

Albeena New Member

Decided to start a thread on Laka's (formerly known as Sigur Ros) growth progression with weekly updates until she's full grown. Laka, pronounced "Lah'kah" means calm and gentle in hawaiian, which she really is for a hatchling! I held her in my hand for the first time tonight and she barely even moved much, she just chilled and enjoyed the warmth.
    Here's some pics to start off with.

This first pic was taken the day my fiance came home with her (10/5/07), she was awfully thin, at 2 grams:
    [​IMG]

Now the following pictures were taken tonight, she weighed in at 6 grams. So thats 2 grams to 6 grams in a little bit over a week.
    [​IMG]

Here's a shot of Laka with my cat Diamond in the background, Diamond doesn't look amused. Bless her heart, she's 13 years old and still as active as a kitten.
    [​IMG]

Her tail is filling in very well, especially compared to the picture taken the day she was brought home.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats all the pictures for now. I'll be updating this thread every other week or so with new pictures as she grows.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. dajin13

dajin13 New Member

RE: Laka

Thats a pretty kool Idea! Beautiful baby you got!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Albeena

Albeena New Member

RE: Laka

Thanks, although the idea of creating a growth progression thread was inspired by LittleLouie, who made a thread entitled "Baby Boo is Growing" in which she showed the growth progress over a year of her Baby Boo. I can't take all the credit for creating this growth progression thread since I'm not the first to do so. :)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Benzo

Benzo New Member

Beautiful

What a beautiful baby you have there. Good luck with her.
    Your cat brought a tear to my eye. I had a kitty, her name was Diamond as well. She had a diamond shaped pattern on her head. She was a beautiful calico. Unfortunately she was run-over a year ago. She was about 8 years old. :cry:

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. shank_the_wiggles

shank_the_wiggles Member

RE: Beautiful

oooh the kittys scare me...

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Albeena

Albeena New Member

Haha...you think the kitty is scary, have a look at our Doberman/Lab mix Lilo. She's as scary as they get. :)
    When she was a pup, she chewed thru a door to get outside. She's also eaten a whole bag full of razors and lived to tell about it.
    [​IMG]

Back on topic, Laka is currently in the midst of a shed. I had to take her out midway thru her shed to place her in her humid hide because she wasn't using it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. axelmagic

axelmagic New Member

dont force them too use there humid hide it can cause stress if forced just try misting them lightly with a spray bottle it will have the same effect

13. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 ReptileBoards Addict

She is a cutie, making a lot of progress already!
    As far as the humid hide, spraying and shedding goes just have the humid hide there for her and don't bother her while she is shedding. Just let her shed, she will be fine and as long as the humid hide is available she will use it if she needs to. Don't spray or mist a Leo, they really hate water and that would honestly be more stressful than putting her in the hide...which, during the actual shed would be very stressful. Don't forget that when they are shedding they are at a very vulnerable point and are in a hurry to finish up, handling them during a shed (or frightening them with a spray) is not the best thing to do. If there is leftover shed the next day use a damp Q-tip, try to let them do it themselves though.

14. Albeena

Albeena New Member

Ahh I see, I wasn't aware they were stressed out during the shedding process. I definitely won't bother her next time around. Anyway, she's done with her shed, there's no stuck shed on her toes so she's free and clear. I just took some pics, she's so bright and beautiful after her shed I see a lot more yellow coming thru on her head area. Here's a few pics.

This first pic I didn't use any flash to try and not misrepresent her coloration since the flash tends to wash out colors.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Bex190

Bex190 Member

What a plump little tummy! She's looking great, I love the spots on her toes!

16. Albeena

Albeena New Member

Thanks, she's improved dramatically in just the past week and a half, for sure! I must be doing something right.
    Not too many updates to report here since her shed, except she now tips the scale at 8 grams and growing.
    I'll probably be updating this thread with more pics next week, depending on how big she's gotten or any significant change in her spots/color.

17. Hardrive

Hardrive New Member

She is amaizing with lovely colours and good growth..cant wait to see more pics and progress as she is roughly the same age as my little guy

18. jayhawkbruce

jayhawkbruce Member

Here is a question for ya. It took Jumper a month and a half to go from 3 to just a little over 10 grams, but he eats like a pig!! I imagine that it might be genetics because I know someone else had a leo go from about 8 to about 20 in a month. The question is what are you feeding and how much of it are you feeding.

19. Albeena

Albeena New Member

I'm feeding Laka regular sized meal worms that are gutloaded with food from www.progeckos.com
    She eats anywhere from 4 - 8 mealies a night with an occasional pin cricket twice a week. Right now she's just eating 1 or 2 mealworms a day, but I think this is because she just shed. I'm no expert on genetics by any means, but I think growth rate has a lot to do with their genetic background/morph...etc. maybe? I don't know.
    It could also be the fact that Laka was malnourished when she first arrived and just got a quick jump start.

20. Albeena

Albeena New Member

Here's some weigh in pics from today. After this I'm outta here for the afternoon, I've gotta go to class.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. Albeena

Albeena New Member

Weighed her today again before feeding. She's 10 grams now.
    [​IMG]

22. Sam_I_Am222

Sam_I_Am222 Embryo

Wow, She is quite amazing...
    did you get her from a breeder, or a pet store, or somewhere else?

Sincerely Signed, Sam I Am.

23. Albeena

Albeena New Member

Hi Sam, my fiance got her for me from Petco I believe. I think she'll turn out to be a Super Hypo Tangerine, but we'll have to wait and see what the spots on her back do.

24. Albeena

Albeena New Member

What the heck? This is her newest thing....sleeping in her calcium dish. Is something wrong?
    She seems to like rolling around in it, I think she's about to shed, but it's only been a week since her last shed. She's growing fast though so I wouldn't be surprised. I've prepared the humid hide for tonight.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. dajin13

dajin13 New Member

I don't think anything is wrong. Abbie does it all the time and has been for a year now. gets the powder every were. Nice progress.!