largest known anaconda

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by herpfreak, Mar 1, 2005.

?

has thier ever been a snake over 30 feet?

1. *

yes

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. *

no

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. herpfreak

herpfreak New Member

I have recently gotten in a dispute with a member of another forum and would like to check my facts could you help me by voting in the above poll :)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. thesnakelover

thesnakelover Embryo

i believe there is a snake that is 30' or bigger im not %100 sure but i believe that the reticulated python gets the biggest and i think it gets 30' or maybe a bit smaller or bigger im not sure but i am pretty sure that that is the biggest snake there is but im not sure how big it is

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. shrap

shrap ReptileBoards Addict

The Retic is the longest snake ever recorded. It was 32 feet 9.5 inches.

The Burmese Python currently holds the record for heaviest snake. At the time of the measurements in 1998, this particular Burmese named "Baby", was 27 feet long, had a girth of 27 inches and weighed 403 pounds. She lives at the Serpent Safari Park in Gurnee, Illinois.

As far as the Anaconda, the largest on record is 28 feet long and had a girth of 44 inches. Scientist estimate the weight at over 500 pounds. For what ever reason the snake was never officially weighed (probably had something to do with not wanting to lug a big @ss scale around the jungle.....the big weenies) so the title of heaviest snake was not "officially" given to the Anaconda.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Ed_r

Ed_r Member

Longest snake is the Retic, I have heard of a specimin 33'
    next is actually the African Rock Python at a touch over 31'
    then the Burm at 29'
    And the Anaconda at almost 29'

All of the snakes i mentioned were w/c specamins.
    i dont put much on baby since Im sure she was power fed beyond belief to get her to by a nice money maker, for theat turd that runs Sepent safari (Wish the retic finished it)

The Amazon is a very big place, and getting the necessary extreme sonar to go through the entire Amazon Looking for the elusive 30' anaconda, its not gonna happen. Some day i think they will find one. I can't see saying NO there wil never be a 30' Anaconda. Id be willing to bet theres even a couple 35'ers out there.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. gadd19

gadd19 Member

i just read an article that has aparently the worlds largest snake ever found. this snake is at an indonesian zoo, and was measured at 48 feet long, has a diameter of 2.8 feet, and weighed in at 984 pounds. all it says is that its a python.....but it has an apetite for dogs!
    i thought this was pretty fricken amazing when i saw it, check it out.
    if this address dosent work, just go to google, and type in longest snake.

www.livejournal.com/users/jwz/2003/12/30/

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

if that snake was truely 49' long and weighed that much im sure it would be in the Guinness World Records. i dont believe the info on a livejournal

12. liza714

liza714 Member

Ok I lived in the philippines for 4 yrs and while i was there I saw with my own two little eyes a 40 ft skin they had at the national zoo in manila. Even given how much snake skins stretch thats still a big snake and fyi gadd they have substantiated reports of reticulated pythons eating people there (granted filipinos are small but still)

13. kavinos

kavinos Member

That snake in the live journal is no where near 49' , you can tell by the girth of it.

14. gadd19

gadd19 Member

i was just pointing it out guys...lol

15. sammyjoe

sammyjoe Embryo

i read that article on the 49' retic. it says at the bootom the guy measured it and it was only 6.5 to 7m. he even added a sly comment about how snakes shrink when you pull out a measuring tape. lol. i've always heard that the heaviest was the giant anaconda weighing in at 500 lbs. that's what i've always seen on discovery and on the internet.

16. teiryklav

teiryklav Member

snakes' skin kan stretch nearly twice than the snake's real body, that only measures up six meters and not too big. and yes there are some records of a snake eating person.

and for the one who says the 49 feet retic, that's only a hoax. i lived in indonesia all my life, and i know. the story is the snake was caught 1 years before it was bought (it was bought by a man from a zoo in december 2003.), and it was caught by a man in sumatra. THINK, how can a snake that big, caught live? who can handle a half ton python? i dont even think 8 people can handle it.

thks ^-^

17. jeepnphreak

jeepnphreak Member

hum way to dig up a old post :)
    any way the shed skin that was 49 feet is bs for a snake being that big. Our little 8 foot boa gave us a beautful full shed awhile ago, I decided to unroll it and measure it. The boa is 7 foot 10 inches, I used a tape meausure on her. the skin measured over 10 foot 6 inches, that streched 25% of the snake's lenth. meaning that the 49 footer was proably more in the 25 foot range, still a B.A.S.

18. Herp__Kid

Herp__Kid Member

don't complain about old threads, this forum is dead anyway, we need talking.

there has never been a documented confirmed case of a snake eating a full grown person, but they have killed many. Even if its not documented we all know its happened at least once.

19. verong

verong Embryo

:D
    good day to all, im from philippines working as a local mountaineer in oriental mindoro, Yes we have a case by a big 31 foot phython we call it "sawa" eat a local farmer working on fruits ( Local lemon) or Dalandan in Philippines, we caugth the snake because it cannot move. you can check the local news channel ABS CBN network they have a footage of it

20. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

there have been cases of large pythons trying to eat adult humans, but none of them ever succeeded as far as i know

21. BooBah

BooBah New Member

The longest known snake ever recorded was an 11 year old reticulated python found in indonesia