law in u.k.

Discussion in 'Reptile Law & Legislation' started by barlifter, Apr 18, 2006.

1. barlifter

barlifter New Member

illegal to feed roosters to giant anacondas in u.k.? ne one know my friend at a zoo in the u.k. jus needs to know

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Just_Some_Guy

Just_Some_Guy Well-Known Member

I would say yes but. YOu can't sell as a business with out a license. Like my Company Wright Interuim Mangment can't sell herps. With out a pet shop licesnse which can be aquired from your local council or DEFRA. I don't know the law concerning Anacondas I think its legal to keep one without a DWA but not so sure. Once again a DWA can be got from DEFRA ( http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=DEFRA&meta= ). But they are rather hard to get hold of, you need a really good reason to get one.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Just_Some_Guy

Here is a list of all the animals under the DWA act. (Dangerous Wild Animals)

Lizards and snakes

Colubridae of the species of the genera Atractaspis, Malpolon, Psammophis and Thelatornis and of the species Boiga dendrophila, Dispholidus typus, Rhabdophis tigrinus

Mole vipers and certain rear-fanged venomous snakes (including the moila and Montpellier snakes, sand snakes, twig snakes, the mangrove (otherwise known as the yellow-ringed catsnake), the boomslang, the red-necked keelback and the yamakagashi (otherwise known as the Japanese tiger-snake))

Elapidae

Certain front-fanged venomous snakes (including cobras, coral snakes, the desert black snake, kraits, mambas, sea snakes and all Australian poisonous snakes (including the death adders))

Helodermatidae

The gila monster and the (Mexican) beaded lizard

Viperidae

Certain front-fanged venomous snakes (including adders, the barba amarilla, the bushmaster, the copperhead, the fer-de-lance, moccasins, rattlesnakes and vipers)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Issa

Issa New Member

If your friend works in a zoo where the snake is housed they are should be already covered (I certainly hope so anyway) for the DWA part. At present its illegal to live feed any vertibrate animals in the uk, basically if the rooster is already dead..... game on (although Rabbits or Jumbo Rats would probably be better nutritionally).

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Just_Some_Guy

I think if they work in a zoo they should now that...

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. brittone05

brittone05 Well-Known Member

They were asking if it was legal to feed roosters to anacondas so obviously they didn't know that :) :D

It is perfectly legal provided the animal isn't live fed tot he snake (although in some cases it is actually legal to live feed in the UK!)

( also, I will tyr to find my link saved to show the changes to the DWA as of October 2007 for the UK and shall also post a link tot he new Animal Welfare Act (AWA) 2007 which appiles to all keepers in the UK)

Anacondas do not require a DWA license for either zoo or private collections and I would imagine that a sub adult green anaconda is of a size that would need several large rats to satisfy it's appetitie.

Rabbits, piglets and the like can all be bought online from UK based froen food suppliers though :)